APC Forum

Some test results

Peret

I took my rocket test rig out for a run today. I fired three 1-pound cored and nozzled rockets, all made with the same 60:30:10 fuel on the same day with the same tooling (UT). The results are graphed below and are food for thought. Y axis is pounds, and X axis is 1/100ths of a second.

In the first image, the blue trace is a motor where the nozzle failed. It didn't blow out, but a piece chipped off resulting in the flame coming out at a slight angle. The yellow trace shows a motor where everything went right. The orange trace... ah yes. The difference with the orange trace is that it was fused with a piece of visco, hooked just above the nozzle. The other two were fused with a piece of bare black match running the whole length of the core.

The second image shows the traces for a 2 ounce (3/8") cored BP rocket made on the Skylighter Turbo Pyro tooling, and a Chinese commercial rocket. This latter was about 3 inches long and 3/4 in diameter and was made of some kind of cloudy plastic. You can clearly see the fire inside during the burn, but it didn't melt. I presume from the force curve it was an end burner.

post-10245-0-34184700-1334561266_thumb.jpg

post-10245-0-71891300-1334561633_thumb.jpg

I took my rocket test rig out for a run today. I fired three 1-pound cored and nozzled rockets, all made with the same 60:30:10 fuel on the same day with the same tooling (UT). The results are graphed below and are food for thought. Y axis is pounds, and X axis is 1/100ths of a second.

Drooling! wub.gif

-dag