APC Forum

Glitter/Strobe Compositions

Mumbles

(OT: Nice to post here again by the way, I have tried to stick to Passfire and a lousy Swedish forum for a while but I like the layout here better. I hope some intersting things are being discussed here now and then!)

Nice to see you back again. I was wondering when you would get tired of Flashback. :D

The best way to make it interesting is as always to contribute, and by golly I've missed your (and members like EP, Nesler, DTP, Rooster) contributions. Not that there is anything wrong with the way it is, but the more the merrier. [/crazy ranting]

Nice to see you back. I actually just made up a glitter you gave me a few years ago. Hope your visits are more frequent.

There are a lot of the "old timers" that I miss getting to talk to. I'm still in contact with several of them, but still have lost track of several too. I especially miss getting to talk with Frogfot, EP, and the like. I too reminisce about the old days.

I have heard of some theories of making blue glitters with Indium. So who wants to send me some indium to experiment with? heh

Nice to see you back. I actually just made up a glitter you gave me a few years ago...
Did it work for you?

...I have heard of some theories of making blue glitters with Indium...
I think that it is impossible to get a blue tint of a true glitter effect because of the continuous emission from all solid particles in the flashes. To be able to get a good colour in these flashes we would have to make their flames more transparent and as I see it this would be very difficult using the traditional glitter mechanism. I believe a blue or green glitter must be based on a new type of formula with another kind of glittering mechanism or we simply have to “cheat” using the matrix comet and micro-star technique!

I made some attempts using different indium compounds many years ago and my conclusion was that the blue emission from indium is too easily disturbed in pyrotechnic flames to be useful.

I had one thought for a semi-legitimate blue glitter. There exist some blue strobes. It should be possible, in theory, if the strobe flashed violently enough it would throw off particles of strobe composition. Perhaps similar to what happens with dragon eggs when they are too large, or with too small of MgAl particles. One may also be able to moderately compress granules of said strobe comp into a sponge like comet. At this point, it's probably just easier to make matrix comets though.

They're not.

If you watch closely, the blue-ish color disappears as soon as those maroonish stars burn out. It's probably some sort of optical illusion from the camera or color from the stars. The tail remains the same effect, but all white after the stars are gone.

It is used in place of aluminum. It was theorized to give a blue glitter. Due to the cost, it would never be viable to use. As CrazySwede has mentioned, he couldn't get a true blue glitter out of it anyway.

• 1 month later...

i have been working on a few white strobepots for 4hours now,

i am just waiting for them to dry right now , and there where a little lump of the strobe mix that where dry that i tested and it worked perfectly it was awesome i where really impressed, cant wait to test the stobe pots :)

i used "al93535"`s mix which "mumbles" mentioned i the first post in this tread, and i have actually never made any strobe stars or strobe pot.

and i will upload a video of a strobe pot test as soon as they are dry

Hello,

I just wondered if someone has any idea about this effect:

http://www.skylighter.com/i/blue-firework/glitter-palm.htm

It seems like a blue glitter but personaly I have never seen any thing like it, so If anyone has this comp please write it :P Thank you!

Best Regards

PyroMan LTU

Isn't that a flitter instead of a glitter? Many streamers based on coarse flitter aluminium have tails being bluish when filmed or photographed. It has something to do with UV emission of burning metal in that case, the same effect can occur when filming other sources of UV light.

They're not that blue though usually.

Depending on who you ask, there is no difference between glitter, flitter, or tremalon. Different locales, different names for the same thing. Some have taken to calling the shimmering streamers flitters, but that is far from an accepted name. In any case, it doesn't look to be bushy enough, and has too defined of flashes for it to really fall under that category to me.

Here is a little video of one of my strobe pots , i don't think it is 100% dry either but it is pretty good ,

i used 325mesh mg/al in this one and i think i will use 200mesh next time for a better effect

But after all it is my first one and i where impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpwj29H8GmY...re=channel_page

Which composition did you use? Something with barium nitrate I suppose?

Looks pretty good for the first try :) .

Thanks Mate , the composition i used was this:

Barium Nitrate 51 %

Potassium Nitrate 7%

Sulfur 19 %

Magnalium 100 to 200 mesh 18 %

Dextrin

it is "al93535"`s mix which "mumbles" mentioned i the first post in this tread ;)

Why is the flash of the strobe not constant, lik; flash 1, 2, flash 1, 2, flash 1, 2, and so on.

Is it because it is not mixed proply?

could be, I have been working with the mix wich was discused here baNO3 sulphur and mgal base, when I used fine mgal it was just burning brightly but now I got some 40-80mesh mgal wich is the best for strobes now it works perfectly I made 50g of stars with starplate 6mm wich will be used for cores... they burn slowly and one star flashes around 6 times +- and quite constantly.

could be, I have been working with the mix wich was discused here baNO3 sulphur and mgal base, when I used fine mgal it was just burning brightly but now I got some 40-80mesh mgal wich is the best for strobes now it works perfectly I made 50g of stars with starplate 6mm wich will be used for cores... they burn slowly and one star flashes around 6 times +- and quite constantly.

Could you post the formula that you used in your strobe stars.

yes, here:

White strobe Bleser's

Ba(no3)2 - 51

KNO3 - 7

Mgal (I use 40-80mesh works perfect, I think It will work till 100mesh) - 18

S - 19

dextrine - 5

25% alcohol

I dont now if they roll though mgal might be a problem, and zmuro In one of you're piro picnics I saw a very cool strobe shell, what strobe was that? thanks ^_^

yes, here:

White strobe Bleser's

Ba(no3)2 - 51

KNO3 - 7

Mgal (I use 40-80mesh works perfect, I think It will work till 100mesh) - 18

S - 19

dextrine - 5

25% alcohol

I dont now if they roll though mgal might be a problem, and zmuro In one of you're piro picnics I saw a very cool strobe shell, what strobe was that? thanks ^_^

I also tried Blesser White strobe but I didn't get any strobing, just white burning star and I used 40-80 mesh magnalium.

I also tried Blesser White strobe but I didn't get any strobing, just white burning star and I used 40-80 mesh magnalium.

Buggar, Has anyone else got this mix to work? (I haven tried it yet)

Edited by TrueBluePyro

Yes, I've used it and it worked just fine. -100 mesh MgAl. it was pressed into strobe pots, so I can't comment on how well it rolls or works in stars though,

I had a little experience with it... I wanted to get this formula working, but I had some same problems first it was just burning bright:

(first video) here I used -200mesh so when I got some good 40-80mesh mgal everythink worked well, I think most imtortant is to: grind all chems fine, exept mgal, weat not too much, use alcohol, and if it is burning, i'd say mgal is too fine...