APC Forum

cheap washing machine motors?

jonesy

Hi,

I'm putting together my first ball mill and i'm onto trying to find a suitable motor. Using a washing machine motor seemed like a good idea since they're specifically desgined to operate with heavy loads over extended periods of time.

I'm just wondering, what would be the best place to find a cheap one? I've already been to the local recycling centre, but, as I thought, they weren't allowed to give away or sell scrap appliances due to company policy.

Should I just go for the easy E-bay option? looking around, the cheapest seem to be £15-20 with P&P

Or, would a domestic appliance/washing machine repair and servicing shop offload one for cheap? If anyone has any experience with buying from them and it's more expensive, well then E-bay sounds like the best option.

If anyone has any ideas then i'd be grateful if they shared them :)

You could ask anyservicing shop to make a deal with you on old washing machines that broke down, most times the electronics are too expensive to repair, but the motor may be in good shape. I use one too on my mill, and it functions great for 8 years now. Even after a 24 Hr run it is not getting hot, just slightly warm to the hand. Make sure you get the driving belt and pulley too! Another option is to search at 2nd hand shops, or dump shops. They sometimes have old machines you can get one for 10 bucks if you're lucky. Just keep your eyes open and you will find a cheap source soon enough. Good luck!

You could ask anyservicing shop to make a deal with you on old washing machines that broke down, most times the electronics are too expensive to repair, but the motor may be in good shape. I use one too on my mill, and it functions great for 8 years now. Even after a 24 Hr run it is not getting hot, just slightly warm to the hand. Make sure you get the driving belt and pulley too! Another option is to search at 2nd hand shops, or dump shops. They sometimes have old machines you can get one for 10 bucks if you're lucky. Just keep your eyes open and you will find a cheap source soon enough. Good luck!

8 years? wow, i'm definitely getting a washing machine one then :D that sounds like a good idea, just the task of finding a relaxed one that's in my area so i don't have to pay for expensive P&P.

i like your signature by the way :)

8 years? wow, i'm definitely getting a washing machine one then :D that sounds like a good idea, just the task of finding a relaxed one that's in my area so i don't have to pay for expensive P&P.

i like your signature by the way :)

Mine came from a washing machine that was thrown into a skip at a local pub. "Can I have the motor?" "Yes! Help youself". Done.

Mine came from a washing machine that was thrown into a skip at a local pub. "Can I have the motor?" "Yes! Help youself". Done.

Hehe yes sometimes you get lucky and stumble upon the exact thing you need. I got mine for free from a friend, who saw the importance of these things and bought a bunch of them at a scrap yard for nearly nothing. He also gave me 2 buckets of very fine Ti turnings once, this scrap yard is located in the area of an aviation factory. They use lots of titanium. I think it will last me for years and years, considering the amounts used for stars, rockets and drivers. On the other hand, i have great difficulty in ordering oxidisers... got enough for the coming years, but i like to stock up since the whole world here seems do dislike them, thanks to some Norwegian moron... Knowing they actually talk about Ammonium Nitrate, the one i do not need... Just KNO3, KClO4, Ba(NO3)2... totally innocent. i wish they got of my back! Actually it is a typical thing of these times, pyro's are judged as if they where terrorists. Feels to me if the whole continent suddenly blame firefighters for all the fires... ''because they deal with the material''!!1! makes no sense at all, we can prove it easily. But they don't ask, they just point fingers as it is the easiest way of hitting today's news coverage. The pyrotechnic dark ages....?

Sorry, on topic.. yeah washing machine motors are great for constructing a ball mill! Search and get one cheap! Don't forget to bring the belt and pulley too. You'll need them.

Edited by spitfire