APC Forum

Liquid phlegmatisers/binders in Rocketfuel

mabuse00

Hi,

I just got myself a bottle of liquid paraffin ("mineral oil") to do some experiments with nozzleless BP and whistle fuel.

Now it struck me, that this stuff really a rather thin liquid.

My concern is, that over time it will soak into the motor tubes, and

-weakens the tubes

-thereby reduces it's concentration in the fuel, making it hotter over time and causing catos in hot setups that lay around some time.

Are these concerns justified?

Thicken it up with paraffin wax (cheap & available in blocks where canning supplies are sold), if you are concerned.

I use smokeless lamp oil (cheap by liter, quart or 1/2 gallon), for keeping the dust down mixing comps.

Which is almost the same thing as pure mineral oil & I use paraffin to thicken it.

Hi,

I just got myself a bottle of liquid paraffin ("mineral oil") to do some experiments with nozzleless BP and whistle fuel.

Now it struck me, that this stuff really a rather thin liquid.

My concern is, that over time it will soak into the motor tubes, and

-weakens the tubes

-thereby reduces it's concentration in the fuel, making it hotter over time and causing catos in hot setups that lay around some time.

Are these concerns justified?

Nope, just pulled out a two year old whistle rocket and one I pressed in march this year, both look the same and there brothers flew in march as well with no problems. There is actually so little oil that it is unlikely that it would migrate into the paper and at the 9000LPI that I press them at, I doubt it could leave if it wanted to.

-dag

OK, thanks for sharing your experience.

Another thing:

Have you ever compared what makes the strongest fuel block and what slows them down the most?

Liquid paraffin, paraffin wax, or vaseline?

OK, thanks for sharing your experience.

Another thing:

Have you ever compared what makes the strongest fuel block and what slows them down the most?

Liquid paraffin, paraffin wax, or vaseline?

From my own experiences, I found no difference in the phlegmatizer as far as speed of burn but did notice that the grain was more likely to crack in the extreme cold when using large amounts of the harder phlegmatizer. I use paraffin oil in all mine as it is easily mixed with white gas (camping gas) and evaporates slowly making for a much dryer comp.

Also, there is no need to melt anything or use thinner.

I have never tried to press and break a grain after they were pressed so I don't have an answer for you as to strength.

-dag