APC Forum

APCP with no binder, FP-dangerous?

MediumRare

So, I was wondering how dangerous would AP be when mixed with some very fine aluminum without a binder? I am using Indian Dark 2 micron aluminum and my AP is around 200-325 mesh. I've tested several ratios and settled down for 50/50 mix--- it burns very hot, not as rapid as flash, but as fast as quality BP. Ignition is almost instant if it is in loose form- lights as easily as BP or any smokeless powder. I don't think it is as dangerous as "flash powder," but it is certainly sensitive enough to probe for some static testing.

Tested it with small piezoelectric igniter with no ignition after 50 sparks. However, human body generates a lot more than 0.00025J. Probably, closer to 0.5J. I might try to build an actual human static spark simulator, but not sure what's the easiest route. Advice would be appreciated, as it will be used for all pyro composition tests.

A simple mix of AP and silicone like used in strobe rockets is also impact sensitive so I would assume your mix will likely be impact sensitive too. I get the feeling that there is a false sense of security regarding AP due to the rocketry community getting APCP delisted.

Well, AP has the impact sensitivity of TNT on its own. :whistle:With small % of aluminum it is probably as sensitive as PETN. With 50% aluminum it is probably in RDX range. Too much fuel desensitizes explosives. I've actually tested this mix, and it is quite hard to set it off from impact, so my assumption of it being around 6-8Nm is about right. I was apprehensively smashing it with hammer, with no good results. Then, however, I hit the pile with a hammer edge instead of just flat impact, which caused a bright white red thermobaric det. Friction also produced no results, but more testing may be required.

Only thing is its sensitivity to flame, which probably translates into some lower tolerance to static. I just need to figure out how to make a static testing machine. Help would be much appreciated. :wub:

I have a static generator that I don't want to give out to many details on yet. I'll be making a video on it in about a month if my plans work out.

I'm not really comfortable working with flyback transformers and voltage multipliers. I was thinking more along the lines of like a disposable camera adapted to give off electrical discharge. You know....something easy that most people can build in 1-2 hour time span for their personal use.

Some diligent experimenter has done good testing on BP static with Oudin Coil. But, I wouldn't want to build one just for this purpose.

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html