Bleser Purple Stars

Nitrato

I tried the organic Bleser formula (without red gum):

KClO4 ---- 68% (17g)

CuO ------ 6% (1,5g)

SrCO3 ---- 9% (2,3g)

PVC ------ 11% (2,8g)

Dextrin -- 5% (1,5g)

Its solely based on dextrin (and part of PVC) as reducing agent. Primed with BP twice and got poor results. Slow and small burning. Dissapointing. I have some of it, so I will be making a video to compare.

So Ive tried again the formula but modified a bit, didnt resist to push veline's side: made the same of above, but added +0,5g of very fine 800# MgAl. The small amount of the alloy improved a lot the properties of the stars.. This one I make a video of the ground test:

Its not very deep, is more bright, but far better with MgAl than without, IMHO.

What do you think? Has anyone tried the original formula with good results?

Thanks.

Edited by Nitrato

Hard to say really what sort of color you have there. Maybe you might throw together a small shell? Lighting one star on the ground and looking at it from some ten or whatever feet back is hard to tell what the color will be when it is some where much farther away in the sky burning next to a larger number of its brothers. I personally make a festival ball sized shell to test a new color, I find it gives me a much better look at the stars but what do I know?

I haven't tried this particular formula nor the original but if just so happens I am trying to find myself a nice purple star as well. I have several, four exactly, formulae that were suggested to me elsewhere that I plan on giving a go in small batches here after Easter so I will gladly post the videos of my results for you here. :) Maybe between us we can come up with a good one.

So far I have three perchlorate and a chlorate, two of the KCLlO4 formulae have MgAl in them and the other one and the chlorate formula does not so it is a pretty broad mix of stars to see. I also don't know what you like in a purple. I prefer less red than many do, it is all what each of us likes and doesn't like and that is what makes this hobby so much fun for me. I love making the stuff look just the way I want it to rather than the way the factory in China finds expedient. ;)

I looked up a blue formula and made some stars . When they dried and I finally tested them they looked more like a great purple. Not too deep and not to light. I guess it is best described as a soft purple. And they were VERY easy to ignite. Here's the formula:

Ammonium perchlorate 70

Basic Copper Carbonate 10

Red Gum. 10

Charcoal. 10

Dextrin. +5

oh, i LOVE those stars. very beautiful :)