APC Forum

Stinger fuel

dangerousamateur

I'm about to improvise myself a tooling over easter and I wonder what kind of fuel is required for the typical spindle & nozzle setup the RTS scetcher proposes.

Commercially available tooling sets look pretty alike.

The thing is, I don't have no proper ballmill. Some tutorials mention non-ballmilled fuel.

I mean, since this is allready 75/15/10 I cannot speed it up any more by altering the ratio.

But I could use a slighly longer spindle right from the start...

For my stingers I used the same BP that I use for lift: 75:15:10, ballmilled for 3 hours.

Unfortunately I broke my stinger spindle. :(

• Like 1

How can you break such a short spindle?

Besides, how short has it been and what was the nozzle diameter for what caliber?

• 2 months later...

Oh, I was an idiot, trying to use an improvised press to press non-BP fuels. :whistle:

It was 30mm and 6mm in diameter at the base. The caliber was 3/4".

This might sound a little bit rude, but it's with good intentionswink2.gif Get a ball mill anyway. There is no ''easy and fast'' in pyrotechnics, at least not when you want something to actually work time after time. For a motor look at scrap yards, 2nd hand shops, etc. A washing machine will do it. get the motor out, get some shafts and bearings and you're set. The drum shouldn't be a problem. Don't forget to bring the pulley and belt too. You'll need them to get the right speed and force.

I'll get one sometime ^_^

But for rockets - why bothering about, if it's fast enough even without. A longer spindle would do the job even with green mix, or maybe even sorbitol fuel.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello once again. After thinking about the site that I given in the last post, I think that you will find it most interesting in general. Skylighter store not only has items for sale but has a great do-it-your self series of articles that are very good and are used by many. Even in APC there are members who refer to this site as it is well writen and tested items with in the link............. Pat

Sorry I figured you knew what a stinger missle was but needed to know what the tools looked like to make one. That is a good site if you want to know what tools are required for different rocket types.