APC Forum

tracking smoke mix

THEONE

I would like to make a mixture out of kno3/sugar and some additives to make a tracking smoke for a rocket...

That i want is to produce good smoke but without a lot of heat to avoid the situation of burning threw the rocket airframe...

I would like to make a mixture out of kno3/sugar and some additives to make a tracking smoke for a rocket...

That i want is to produce good smoke but without a lot of heat to avoid the situation of burning threw the rocket airframe...

if smoke bombs are too hot they dont produce much smoke just flames

legendary smoke mix, pressed or rammed in a small [ smaller than the motor] id thick walled tube, test the smoke burn time and case burn through until you have the time you need and the tube survives, attatch it to the rocket.

trouble is if you got a fast rocket the smoke will be sparse unless you have a fast burning smoke comp that dumps loadsa smoke quickly also small id tubes may not give enough smoke for what you want.

when i made sugar rockets i found that cooked 60/40 burns very fast i lit a 40mm x 30mm bates grain and it burned in under 2 secs dumping lots of smoke [ so much that i couldnt see] you can slow it down and make the smoke denser by adding wax etc.

how much weight can the motors carry? this governs how much smoke you can have.

dan.

Legendary Smoke sure sounds like a good alternative due to its small flame envelope, relative low burning temperature, copious amounts of smoke and being nontoxic. Also, with the use of wax, the R-candy mix is able to be stored for long periods without becoming gummy and is much easier to light then soggy R-candy.

It does not take a lot of this mix pressed into a tube to make the 15 seconds of smoke you need, make sure to test the burn time on the ground first.

I envision a one piece design where the bottom portion of the rocket is the fuel and then after a clay plug, the Legendary Smoke mix is then pressed into the chamber above, sealed with another clay plug and then hand drilled 1/4" above the bottom clay plug and a piece of hot visco be threaded through the hole. A short section of quick match or fast visco can be used to carry the fire to the smoke or the smoke portion can be lit before the rocket motor.

The effect will be a spiraling twin smoke stream that should be very easy to follow.

med_gallery_9798_102_20318.jpg

-dag

how much weight can the motors carry? this governs how much smoke you can have.

dan.

I can carry a lot weight, more than 1kgr

I can carry a lot weight, more than 1kgr

then you can have lots of smoke :D

i like your idea dag, i was trying to think of a way to mount the smoke device to the top of the rocket without comprimising the casing or aerodynamics yours is a better solution, but then you are rocketman :lol:

dan.

then you can have lots of smoke :D

i like your idea dag, i was trying to think of a way to mount the smoke device to the top of the rocket without comprimising the casing or aerodynamics yours is a better solution, but then you are rocketman :lol:

dan.

Speaking of lots of smoke; I have used this white smoke composition since 1986 and it works quite well.

40 potassium chlorate

30 ammonium chloride

13 sodium bicarbonate

13 lactose

04 rosin

Use either alcohol or acetone to bind into pellets sized to suit your purpose. Avoid water with this mix but non-aqueous binding works well. If the rosin is left out, this mix can be used as a loose powder. I store it in a paper or cardboard container.

This mixture ignites easily and burns cool enough that it will scorch paper but not ignite it. If handled properly it should store well till needed (keep it in a cool, dry environment).

WSM B)

I tried a mix of 12gr candle wax 12gr sugar and 18gr kno3 but it did not work, i will try less wax next time Edited by THEONE

• 2 weeks later...
Ok i tried a 30/20/15 mix of kno3/sugar/wax (from a candle) but it burned really hot, with a really big flame, like epoxy...