APC Forum

rolling Veline

Bcorso85

Hey guys. I have, in the past, cut my veline stars. I have recently learned how to hand roll stars in a metal bowl with cous cous pasta. I went to roll veline blue but the comp would just roll off when I applied the next layer of dry powder leaving my bare star core. I wanted to roll this composition a) to keep up this new technique I'm excited about B) I was going through a list of formulas and at the bottom it said the veline composition can be cut, rolled, and pumped. I figured priming the stars could also be done more nicely.

It was like the acetone in my squeeze bottle just washed everything off the core. Is this just a fools errand or should I water down the acetone next time?

Thanks guys,

Ben

The more water cous cous comes in contact with, the stickier it gets (up to a certain point, like any pasta).

I would add a little more water to the acetone & giive it another whirl.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Acetone is known to be kind of tricky to roll with. I've been told you need to go slow and grow the layers slowly. The comments about it being able to be cut, rolled, or pumped refers to binding with dextrin. Others may have more experience to help you out.

i [hand] rolled veline blue with plain old water, i always roll slow and build the layers up with drying inbetween, they were fine, smell like chlorine when you roll with water though which is the only downside to me,, they do dry quicker than charcoal stars but no where near solvent binding times.

dan.

An other way to roll Veline is to use an alcohol, like isopropylalcohol/IPA.

If you use this alcohol it uses the Red Gum as binder.

It also tends to stick a lot less to other cores in comparison with dextrin as binder.

And your drying times are reduces dramatically.

Thanks a lot guys. But in respect to rolling the veline, with red gum and parlon, can I still use isoproply alcohol and it still be dissolved with out the acetone. What I was doing was building my first layer up, then I would spray my stars with undiluted acetone and they were washed away. All rockets psl, where can I find beds tutorial?

http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/how-to-make/red-rubber-stars.asp

That is Ned's tutorial where he winds up with rounded stars though he stars with screen cutting them.

http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/how-to-make/zinc-stars.asp

This one he starts with cut stars and ends up with rounded ones.

As to rolling help, can't give any as I haven't yet tried. I pump the bulk of my stars and for the most part favor Dextrin/Water binding of any of the harsher chemicals. I have a full beard so the mask really doesn't keep the acetone vapors out as well as it should and I am not fond of the headache I wind up with even outdoors when using a lot of acetone. It has its place though as does alcohol and red gum. The latter is for go-getters which I have gotten quite fond of, they looks so cool swimming around up there. wub.gif

I think you are using way to much solvent then.

Just wet your cores just a little bit, then if the cores a just slightly moist add a little bit of compo.

Add more compo if the cores are still wet or add a little but of solvent if the cores are dry.

And don't just dump your solvent in there. Wet the stars by spraying the solvent on them.

Kinda like so:

Thanks everyone. I think my spray bottle is too much for the few dozen star cores I'm hand rolling. Plus the solvent is not cut with any water. I'm going to try my small bottle I use for water. Thanks a lot everyone and I'll let you guys know how I make out. I hope to give something back to the pyro community some day for all the help. Again, thanks guys.

Benjamin