APC Forum

Topfusing Shells

dangerousamateur

Another Shell fusing issue:

Since my shells (rather bombettes) sometimes fail, but the comets glued to the top absolutely never do, why not top fuse the shell?

I know some people put some quickmatch from the lift to the timefuse on the top.

But I whould rather just let the primed timefuse/visco exposed on top off the shell and let the blowby gas do the job.

Since I allways make shells in canister form and no balls, the fuse should enjoy very good pretection on top of the shell, against being torn away by the lift.

For transport i could just cap the shell with something

What do you guys think about that? Any experience?

I don't think fuse location has any bearing on failure rates, if it won't light bottom fused moving to the top won't help

Another Shell fusing issue:

Since my shells (rather bombettes) sometimes fail, but the comets glued to the top absolutely never do, why not top fuse the shell?

I know some people put some quickmatch from the lift to the timefuse on the top.

But I whould rather just let the primed timefuse/visco exposed on top off the shell and let the blowby gas do the job.

Since I allways make shells in canister form and no balls, the fuse should enjoy very good pretection on top of the shell, against being torn away by the lift.

For transport i could just cap the shell with something

What do you guys think about that? Any experience?

Virtually all multibreak shells are top fused. If you can cross match your visco with a single strand of quickmatch, I would bet that it would take fire from the lift.

med_gallery_9798_43_39126.jpg

-dag

if they are bombettes why attatch the star to the top,the star is lighting because it has a large surface area to take fire, for my bombettes i ram the bulkhead and the rising tail comp together, the fuse runs through the tail comp and if that lights so does the fuse, never had one fail yet, havn't made many but there is such a large surface that sees fire from the lift that i cant see it ever failing unless the comp got wet.

i used to make 40mm cans [1.5"] and top fuse because i liked the heavy loud lift 20% would give in short mortars [and the peace of mind] but it is a lot of work for small shells, a properly made smallish bombette can survive the same harsh treatment with bottom fusing and a tail as another physical fire barrier, it takes a lot less steps to make one as opposed to cans.

dan.