APC Forum

Here is my Rocket

Cherbanov

nozzle pressed with 5 tons pressure

post-18-1161514204_thumb.jpg

rocket with stick mounted and nose cone, made of a little drinking glas of plastik

post-18-1161514408_thumb.jpg

rocket made with 12H ballmilled blackpowder and the powder is pressed with 5tons pressure, rockets will go about 300meters up in the air with 40gram of payload

What kind of tube is that, the walls look incredibly thin for a cardboard tube. Please tell me that you're not using plastic that thin.

That sure looks like PVC to me. Cherbanov, PVC is not used in pyro except in powder form the main reason for this is that i forms small sharp pieces of shrapnel when it goes boom and having a PVC rocket CATO will not be a pretty sight, you might get away a few times but is it really worth the risk.

Stay green

PGF

i am having a electric lighter system so i am not so close. I am standing 100 meter away when i am lightning the black fuse with the elektrik lighter, i recomend to use paper tubes but i got none so there for I am useing plastic tubes with elektric lighters

To the PVC critics about, this more shows a lack of your safety. Yes, it is not a good choice, but it will work. For rockets, it should be ok, as you shouldn't be very close to them to begin with. If you are close enough to get hit with schrapnel off a rocket, there is something wrong. If you take a look at some HPR regulations, they give distances that you should be from a rocket of a certain size. This is why PVC is used safely with some EX people (myself included.)

Now, I wouldn't use PVC for mortars because most like to handfire them. In this case, you really do need HDPE or cardboard for the little guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice tutorial there, I personally think that PVC is safe enough at the distances you are at. Unfrotunately I personally dont use it as I hear a doctor would have to use exploratory surgery as PVC doesnt show up on X rays.

Do you use tooling or do you drill the core out? I really need to get a press sorted soon, hammering and using a vice is soo slow and crappy...

Thanks

I drill out the hole by hand, so i can make diffrent nozzle leght. depending on the payload i have on it

Nice tutorial there, I personally think that PVC is safe enough at the distances you are at. Unfrotunately I personally dont use it as I hear a doctor would have to use exploratory surgery as PVC doesnt show up on X rays.

Do you use tooling or do you drill the core out? I really need to get a press sorted soon, hammering and using a vice is soo slow and crappy...

No, the sharp knife-like PVC shrapnel in your body will show up just fine on X-ray or CAT scan. Brian Redmond, an accomplished pyro who is also a radiology technician, has experimented and proven that it *does* appear clearly on xray.

Why standing so close that you can be hit bye shrapnel?

you sould always be stading in safe distance. papertubes with clay ends can do some damage to. why risk being hurt or deaf!?! if the

rocket CATO!!

Why standing so close that you can be hit bye shrapnel?

you sould always be stading in safe distance. papertubes with clay ends can do some damage to. why risk being hurt or deaf!?! if the

rocket CATO!!

How far will PVC shrapnel fly ? I have heard reliable reports of up to 30 yards ( or meters ). A well known pyro from this board had 6 inch long x 2 inch wide 'knives' of plastic fly 15 yards from a bad lift ( the shell didn't flowerpot, it just blew the bottom and sides out of the mortar and was a low break )

If you want to discuss 'risk' and 'PVC' in the same topic the answer is simple. Don't fucking use it in pyro.

for something to fly far away it needs mass. and pvc sharpnel "I gess"

dont have the mass to fly 100meter in the air and after that do some damage. i never stand closer than 100 meter from any pyro effekt with power in. i am shooting mutch with rifels and a shoot gun will lose its killing power around 80 meter the shoots of lead will hit the ground

and the are mutch havier than pvc sharpnel, so i thinking that 100meter is a safe distance to pvc rockets in the size I made them.

I DONT NOW THIS maby a real large pvc can fly longer, but i still use small elektrical pipes not 5" mortars.

• 6 months later...
Not only the shrapnel but melted palstic raining from the sky doesn't sound pleasant to me. I made a tube type thing that I could put some smoke powder in and burn and it burn voilently and made alot of smoke but the PVC melt and change shape.