APC Forum

Blue Aluminum?

warthog

Has anyone given the "new" Blue Aluminum a try yet? It was supposed to be both less expensive than dark pyro Al and safer to use in flash comps period. I can assure you it is NOT cheaper at $35/pound plus shipping than many of the options including Star Aluminum. I think that until the stuff becomes more readily available, it seems now that it is available only as 100# drums to licensed individuals except from one person who is reselling it himself on the side. My disclaimer here is that I can only say that I learned all of this via that one person selling it since it is not available elsewhere I don't know who else to speak to about it.

I am sure many have seen the videos showing it will only melt, not burn or exploded unless it is contained. Same videos show it making a louder boom using less comp than usual per salute. In fact this is also something that can be done with the regular 7/3 flash, it all depends on the sound you are seeking, a deep boom or a loud crack.

So how about it, anyone do any sorts of comparisons with Blue Aluminum yet or even have any experience using it?

Thanks!

If this should be elsewhere then feel free to move it please.

For those who don't know what Blue Aluminium is heres the video:

If your only mixing small amounts of traditional flash mixtures you shouldn't really be too concerned anyway, if your following all the safety precautions including small batch sizes then I wouldn't think the Blue Aluminium would be too appealing unless it really does give a bigger bang.

I'm curious, not concerned. I'd like to know if it does work as advertised or if that is like the promise it would be cheaper.

I suppose if it made a bigger boom with less comp, it would wind up cheaper over all. Maybe that waS what they meant?

Prior thread exists:

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/6215-blue-aluminium/page__p__79654__hl__%2Bblue+%2Baluminum__fromsearch__1#entry79654

Should consider bumping or merging. Though you essentially re-state the mains points of the thread.

Perhaps I'll see some at PGI. I'm wondering if its semi-inert-ness could be due to a thicker than normal oxide or nitride coating.