APC Forum

Buttered Popcorn Glitter

Mumbles

Buttered Popcorn Glitter - Obtained via a number of posts on passfire on 10/30/2011. Originally posted Nov. 2008

Developed by Lloyd Sponenburgh. It's a yellow to golden glitter that can be used for both stars and fountains.

5lb......Meal-D

....6oz..sodium bicarbonate

....9oz..antimony sulfide -325 mesh

....8oz..Fine spheroidal Al (service X-fine)

....6oz..dextrin

Work the bicarb up and down by 1% amounts (1% of the bicarb amount) to increase or decrease the spritzel delay.

LLoyd

It's simple, and will work properly with from 3% to 8.5% moisture when pressed; use JUST enough to make it cohere well at the pressure you're using. For granulating, usually about 800-1000ml of water per 16lb batch works out just right.

Linda named it ''Buttered Popcorn Glitter''. The spritzel puffs are roughly 3/4'' in diameter, and a rich buttery gold.

LLoyd

--------------------

Just to clarify, this is a glitter rocket-fuel, right, Lloyd??

It looks similar to the Winokur C gerb glitter we were talkin' about a week or so ago, but with dex in it, and a higher % of Meal...

If it's a rocket fuel, why is there Dex in it?

ned

--------------------

I roll it into stars, press it into comets, and granulate it for pressing. SOP is that all my formulae contain binders. Even with granulated comps, the binder makes it less dusty to press, and easier to granulate with less moisture -- and too much moisture is the enema .. ur... eneMY... of glitters.

BTW... the amount of water used to granulate is usually considerably higher than that used to press. The 800ml is roughly 11%. But it doesn't seem to hurt the glitter, probably because I dry granulates rapidly in very shallow layers, preventing the sort of reactions that might cause them to deteriorate.

LLoyd

--------------------

How the comps are used is up to the practicioner.

LLoyd

--------------------

Bill bestowed:

''Lloyd if this was your fountain formula in the shared section.''

Yep, same formula, but with meal instead of raw BP ingredients. With the meal, it burns cleaner, producing less ash fallout, and it burns about 50% faster.

It's suitable for any and all variety of applications.

LLoyd

--------------------

I've used it for saxon drivers and nozzle-less line rockets, but never nozzled core-burners.

For the applications where I've used it, it was the entire fuel load. On the line rockets, it left a glitter trail about 100' long. The saxons were pressed in 1lb tubes, and mounted on a baton that made the whole affair about 24'' long. The glitter disk was about 30' in diameter.

It's not as strong as straight meal, of course; but it pushes pretty well.

LLoyd

• Like 1

Thank you for all of those posts. All I knew was it makes a great glitter star. It is, as I have said many times now, my all time favorite glitter star formula period. I was about to ask Lloyd about using it in a fountain now I have the info I need already.

The nozzeless rocket with this formula sounds awesome but doesn't it raise the whole thing about no metal on the spindle? If one did use this for a cored rocket would it be safe to ram, or only to press? I usually only put metals above the spindle and get a nice tail but an all glitter fuel rocket sounds spectacular. Edited by Short5

Personally, I'd press it only. I'd be more comfortable if it wasn't for the antimony trisulfide. Lloyd only discusses it for line rockets. These are essentially drivers on a line. You don't have to deal with gravity. I'd probably stick with normal rocket fuel for the cored section and use the glitter for the delay. It will be visible pretty much from the launch. You can add increments of the glitter fuel to the cored section from there.

If you intend to use it for rockets or gerbs, I'd suggest using meal instead of the components for the cleanest burning and most thrust.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Percentages...for those that don't want to make 7 lbs at a time...sorry for bump

5lb......Meal-D..................................... 73.4%

....6oz..sodium bicarbonate ............... 5.5%

....9oz..antimony sulfide -325 mesh......... 8.3%

....8oz..Fine spheroidal Al (service X-fine) ......... 7.3%

....6oz..dextrin .................................................. 5.5%

Edited by Ferret

Some people are really lazy...

Potassium Nitrate....55

Charcoal.............11

sulphur..............7,3

Sodium Bicarbonate...5,5

Antimony Sulfide.....8,2