APC Forum

Fireworks

baran420

Hello, Please forgive me if such a topic exists on this forum, but I want to know if any good old-timer documentaries, films on the art of fireworks (or any type of pyro including explosives) manufacturing exist out there on the internet. I know many of us are nostalgic creatures harking back to a time before the fun police came along and such early footage capturing the magic of fireworks of old would be good to see. You tube shows a few gems, but considering how long fireworks have been part of many cultures, it must be the topic of a few films or even podcasts?

Cheers in advance

Edited by baran420

I haven't seen any films or documentaries yet but I am interested in seeing them as well. I do own a few books on the subject complete with full color plates of the wonderful labels they used to use back in the day. Seems like the Firecracker gets the most attention when making these books, I have one book that is only old firecracker labels without anything else in it, just several hundred pages of full color, full sized labels from old fireworks.

I can dig those out and give you the titles and ISBN Numbers if you are interested in finding them yourself.

Thanks for the reply's. Warthog, any recommendation of such books would be well regarded. A while ago I read a book by an american bloke called George Plimpton, which I enjoyed, and would recommend. With great passion he discusses the history of fireworks and their use for celebrating almost anything.

Great short films Optimus. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

AB

I find it hard to believe they want to charge 40 pounds - more than sixty dollars - for a 3 minute film clip more than 80 years old. Truly, copyright terms are out of control.

Here are the two books I have now on old fireworks. Both of them are on Firecrackers for the most part but they do have other things in them as well:

FIRECRACKERS: The Art & History by Jack Mingo & George Moyer, Ten Speed Press, ISBN 1-58008-151-7

FIRECRACKERS: An Eye-Popping Collection of Firework Art by Warren Dotz, Jack Mingo & George Moyer, Ten Speed Press,

ISBN-10: 978-1-58008-903-6 & ISBN-13: 1-58008-903-8

That second one is simply a book of old labels. All in full color and I really like it. I bought this one on hardback for a little more money so it would hold up better to the years. The first one I got in a paperback. Both of them cover more than just firecrackers, rockets, sparklers, fountains etc are all in there. The first book also has a lot of history in it besides lust labels. If you are wanting more history that the first one will serve you best. Myself I like both of them as I find the labels to be a part of the history,

(I have no idea what the difference is between an ISBN-10 & ISBN-13 number so I posted both. The first book simply lists an ISBN Number which is what I am familiar with for most books)

Here is the website for Ten Speed Press, and I was able to buy mine at the AFN Website.

Edited by warthog

I find it hard to believe they want to charge 40 pounds - more than sixty dollars - for a 3 minute film clip more than 80 years old. Truly, copyright terms are out of control.

Actually in this case I think it's fairly reasonable. They're free to download low-res watermarked and totally free for schools to use.

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/news/2002/12/56667

Actually in this case I think it's fairly reasonable. They're free to download low-res watermarked and totally free for schools to use.

Perhaps so - they're entitled to charge whatever the market will stand and it's to be hoped they use some of the money to preserve the archive. The fact is, though, that there's a quid pro quo for copyright, a deal by which creators get a government-granted monopoly for a limited time, in exchange for which they then place the material in the public domain. The way things are now, material that existed long before I was born will still be copyright long after I'm dead and as a member of the public, I feel my side has been so seriously cheated that the deal has become null and void. If this material was already public domain there wouldn't be any worries about preserving it for history, whereas if Pathe goes belly up next year it could all be lost, since nobody else has the rights to archive it.

I think those vids are very cool. I have been thinking about that in one of the videos a lot, by the way: how long after a war does it take before most people want to shoot fireworks again. Now I know. Only a few months. :)

no nostalgic manafacture footage but some general history and educational material

this one: http://youtu.be/_9oDBXLjQcE covers perspectives of the guy fawkes conspiracy including a modern day re enactment where they build parliment then ignite 36 barrels of bp under it, you need to find the other 7 parts, ill post them if there is interest, shows a shockwave from bp and bp production in wooden ball mills

this one: http://youtu.be/FVIR09OEpCQ is more to do with the history of chemistry really but there is a bit on pharmacists making early matches and fireworks, mentions of paris green wallpaper,clothing, hand creams, synthesis of zinc oxide. [ and has a member of the ukps]

this one:

covers [partly] the history of bp and he, pyro, blasting, but mainly in war.

i presume this is ok here as it is a mainstream tv program kids can watch, remove if not appropriate.

dan.

They painted walls indoors with Paris Green in the 19th Century. People were tougher back then. :P Edited by Potassiumchlorate

The used paint with lead in it too. I lived through all f this nasty stuff and frankly feel I am healthier for it,. Kids today are so sheltered from all sorts of things, like the constant use of antibacterials (which only breed super germs) as a soap so that there is never a chance that the child's immune system is exposed to small amounts of pathogens so that they can build up immunities. Rather when they DO get hit by the stuff, their immune systems are so out of practice that they are easily overwhelmed and so they get so much sicker and stay that way longer than we did when we were kids.

now tell me how wrong this viewpoint is and I will crawl back under my rock. cool2.gif

lead poisoning makes you stupid and in some cases kills you slowly, this looks like childs play compared to arsenic poisoning, but yes i agree to a lesser degree, im never sick from the germs that arent foreign to me/regularly intaken, and do believe that society should not be so sterile.

dan.

Well, I didn't eat the paint nor did I lick the walls. I suppose there is still that "Common Sense" thing to be included in all of this that makes folks healthier too. Judging from the posts I see routinely this has also been slowly but surely bred out of the race as well. whistle.gif

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that every Tuesday night on Discovery channel they are showing a day in the life of pyros.These guys are from Montreal and it shows all the problems they encounter trying to light their fireworks in the freezing cold.It aired last Tuesday and here's a link.

I was recently given a short, approximately 9 minutes, movie on DVD entitled "Chinese Firecrackers". It was made in 1948 and showed how "Heaven & Earth" firecrackers were made at the time. These firecrackers are the type that jump up then explode in the air. It then touches on a few other items made at the time but it doesn't show how they are made, it just shows you what they look like.

While it really left me wanting more, it is still a pretty cool little show. Should anyone be interest in getting a copy I can provide you with contact info and I am sure he will sell one to you for a very small charge. Mine was part of a package deal, added as a free incentive. I am sure the same sort of arrangement can be reached if you too wish to obtain that many of his other offerings.