APC Forum

light

Cherbanov

does any one now wath the formula is that the military us for there flares that they sent up in the sky and then falls back to earth with a little paracute, they make a wery brigth lighte that will lighte up the ground like its daytime, do you understand wath i mean?

Barium Nitrate/Magnesium flares are very bright. I've also heard of Barium Flouride being used, but I'm not aware of any military specific formulas.

i found a recept of a flare composition. if any want to try here it is.

55,4% strontium nitrate, 19,9% sulfur, 19,8% potassium perchlorate,

2,9% asphaltum, 0,1% moisture.

USE: composition used extensively in flares for illumination purposes

Writer: Jared Ledgard

Here is a formula I found off cannonfuse that works really well.

Photoflash

Source: Kirk-Otthmer chemical encyclopedia[8]. Chapter 'Explosives and Propellants'.

Comments: Heat of reaction: 8.989 kJ/g, Gas volume: 15 cm3/g, ignition temperature: 700°C, impact sensitivity test: 26% of TNT. half a pound of this flash delivers 120 million candlepowder. It is used in the M120A1 and M112A1 flare cartdriges.

Preparation:

Aluminum (20 micron; atomized)....................40

Potassium perchlorate (24 micron).................30

Barium nitrate (150 micron).......................30

Now This isn't just any flash of light, this is some REALLY bright stuff. When I took the video, it took me a while to find my way back to my camera because it was so bright (and I was used to the night darkness.) In the video I used abot 4 grams unconfined. I hope this helps.

Click here to see the video.

how can you make this flarecomp burn for a long time? this is like flash so u cant press it, maby make really big cut stars of it

Use nitrate instead of chlorate/perchlorate. Also add 1% boric acid to make it safer. This is a slower burning flash, more like flares.

Potassium nitrate is a good one, it is quite a lot slower than perchlorate. Sodium nitrate is even slower but requires a blasting cap. Barium nitrate is faster burning and more sensitive, so add boric acid to stabilize it.

Sodium nitrate and magnesium is the way to go for an extremely bright candle. The reason magnesium is so great is that it vaporizs in the hot flame, it does not burn as a solid, like the other metals. Nitrates like sodium nitrate makes more solid oxides in the flame, coming out as smoke. This smoke helps light generation, but the whole mechanism of this is not yet known. The harder the composition is pressed, the more total light output is generates.

If you can get ahold of iridium or tungsten powder though, making a thermite with this should also give some extremely bright white light.

The reason why it flashed instead of burned for a while was because it was a pile of fluffy powders. If you are wanting a longer lasting bright flare you are probably going to have to use a lot of compisition. Also if it is packed in to a tube (and lit with an open end) you can get compisitions to burn slower. A formula I use for extremely bright burning compisition is:

Potassium Nitrate-3

Potassium Perchlorate-1

Fine Aluminum-3

When 3 grams are packed in a tube about twice the diameter of a pencil and burnt (make sure that the tube's end is not covered), it burns for about 3 seconds with a blinding white light.

If you want bright light, I suggest hafnium.

As for you chemguy, what the fuck are you talking about with blasting caps? What the hell kind of flares need blasting caps? I sincerely hope this was a mistake, but I HIGHLY suggest watching what you suggest. Completely unsafe suggestions like that are liable to get you banned.

Hafnium? just that ore are there some more ingrediens?.

Styropyro: i Will try to make your flare. i got all the ingrediens at home. I am a lucky man i have a big suplyer of pyro chemicals here

in sweden, so i just call him and 3 days later I got evryting i order.

Styropyro: is that really safe to pack this formula, i dont want my hand blown up

I don't know what you're asking, but hafnium is a metal. It burns blindingly bright. It is also obscenely expensive. I was just kidding with that. Magnesium or titanium will both give very bright lights, as will Tungsten as was suggested earlier. I would stick to Mg if I were you though. The rest are relativly expensive.

Mg good i got about 5kilogram of Mg but it is in a large anode stick.

maby i can make it to powder but how? i got a big ballmill but i think Mg is to soft to make a powder in a ballmill

As for you chemguy, what the fuck are you talking about with blasting caps? What the hell kind of flares need blasting caps? I sincerely hope this was a mistake, but I HIGHLY suggest watching what you suggest. Completely unsafe suggestions like that are liable to get you banned.

I believe chemguy was hinting towards this article...

http://yarchive.net/explosives/flash_powder.html

A person by the name of Gearld HUrst initiated some NaNO3/Al flash w/ a blasting cap.

There is a bloke on ebay that sells W powder. Can't remember the price and I cant bring up ebay on school computers. I think his store name was finemetals or something. There is a link in the "aluminium powder question" in the newbie section.

http://10.10.2.15/getbusi/user-report-stat...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Thats him.

Cherbanov: I always wear a face mask when I do anything, but my compisition hasn't ever gave me any problems. I just take one of my tubes with the bottom end covered and take small amounts of the compisition and lightly press it in. If you don't pack it enough it will just make a poof and a bright flash of light. So you want it packed enough but DO NOT RAM IT! Just lightly press it in. Just stick a wick in and don't cover the end of the tube that is facing up. When you light it it will make a slight roaring noise and will shoot out an incredible bright white light that will make you see dots for a while.

As for you chemguy, what the fuck are you talking about with blasting caps?  What the hell kind of flares need blasting caps?  I sincerely hope this was a mistake, but I HIGHLY suggest watching what you suggest.  Completely unsafe suggestions like that are liable to get you banned.

Mumbles, I was not sugesting that you use a blasting cap or make explosions etc, Like DeAdFX said I got it from that website and it says that a blasting cap is required for lighting it a NaNO3, Mg mix. I was just trying to help.

it was really bright light from your composition styropyro, a se dots evry were :D . but i dont think it will light up 300*300 meter. at an hight of 200meter upp in the air. but i will try to make this flare fly up in the sky, and then slowly go back down with a paracute

does any one now wath the formula is that the military us for there flares that they sent up in the sky and then falls back to earth with a little paracute, they make a wery brigth lighte that will lighte up the ground like its daytime, do you understand wath i mean?

Here is an exact formula for a military illumination flare., taken from Pyrotechnics by Alexander Hardt

Table 17-8.Tamp-Cast Illuminating Flare

Carboxyl terminated polyester binder 7.4

Epoxy curing agent 1.5

Magnesium, 50/200 mesh, HF passivated 61

Sodium nitrate, 42-62 mesh 10

60µm average particle size 10

5µm average particle size 10

Iron linoleate (catalyst) 1

Hmmm..., I feel I must chime in since it's obvious that many people here don't know squat about illuminating compositions!

If the highest possible output of light in the visible part of the spectrum is desired, the atom of choice to excite is sodium. This is due to the line broadening effects of the sodium line spectra at high temperatures.

If barium is used, lots of the energy will be radiated as near infrared radiation wich is invisible to the human eye. This means that illuminating compositions based on barium nitrate will never be as bright as illuminants based on sodium nitrate.

To get an optimal radiation of light we need a composition that burns as hot as possible, preferrably with a big flame to increase the light emitting area and also with a clear flame without too much solid particles that will shade the light. Magnesium is the perfect choice since it burns at a high temperature and most importantly, it burns in a vaporized state which gives us the big and trasnparent flame we need!

Typical military illuminating flares based on sodium nitrate consists of up to 60 percent magnesium and usually a small amount of drying oil, polyester or epoxi as a binder.

Thanks crazy swede and Frozentech i will order some of this components at my dealer. i got a camera so i can try to make a little film. but my budget is tight right now. Building a house in this speaking moment. so it can take a while but some day it maby comes a video

There is a bloke on ebay that sells W powder. Can't remember the price and I cant bring up ebay on school computers. I think his store name was finemetals or something. There is a link in the "aluminium powder question" in  the newbie section.

http://10.10.2.15/getbusi/user-report-stat...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Thats him.

Yea, i posted about him in the newbie section for 1 micron aluminum, His name is FinePowders

http://cgi.ebay.com/1LB-Tungsten-powder-2-...VQQcmdZViewItem

When using 3pot nitrat, 1pot perc, 3 Al. can i use dextrin as an binder to make a star that burns for long time, or should I use a other binder?