APC Forum

Shimmering

figls

Man those ARE cool! I would like to know how to make those as well.

No one can help me?

Like claimed before, most of these effects are post an die....for the workers of these plants . You may get close to the effect by rolling a charcoal star comp over a glitter comp. I believe they used a magnalum based glitter. Possible that some of these are Matrix stars as the core, for the crackling effect.

They both look to be matrix comets to me. For the crackling ones you add dragon's eggs, for the flashing ones you add colored strobes.

They both look to be matrix comets to me. For the crackling ones you add dragon's eggs, for the flashing ones you add colored strobes.

They are very small shells ... It seems like a very small matrix commit if that is what it is ... I know this is most likely the crackling one, but the other may indeed be a type of glitter star.

Edited by pyrojig

Ok, but it is possible that the formulas are these? http://www.standardfireworks.com.cn/2007/tech1.htm

It's possible that the stars are cylindrical? "All in all" the formulas can be called "Glitter"?

Thanks to "jimbo" for the link posted in this discussion: Found chinese comps info

Like claimed before, most of these effects are post an die....for the workers of these plants .

I did not understand! Many formulas are published in books and then processed! Not? Even if you know the formulas the fireworks you buy !

Edited by figls

If a company comes up with a unique effect or star, those formulas are very closely guarded as they have the possibility to be very profitable. I worked at a firework factory for instance with a few very special effects. The formulas for such things were obviously available to the employees, but it was made fairly clear that if someone were to remove said formulas from the premises or try to give them away it would be grounds for immediate termination. Some companies go so far as to even hide the true formula from their employees.

Many of the formulas that become available to the public through books or other publishing are typically outdated or old formulas. The formulas in the links given above are somewhat questionable. There are some that almost certainly will work just fine. There are however some other ones that appear to have serious errors or intentionally misleading proportions or names. For instance at least on the first page you posted from Standard fireworks, what is called "red glitter" is actually a red strobe. It will not be a colored glitter as one may initially think.

Of course, it is clear. Yet these effects have for years been used by many factories of fireworks so it isn't in the products of one company! I found many videos of amateur shells with these effects! So why not discuss it? However I am more interested in the interactions of the elements. What makes the color behind the star? Aluminum? Magnalium? I repeat my question: it's possible create cylindrical stars with these effects? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, it is clear. Yet these effects have for years been used by many factories of fireworks so it isn't in the products of one company! I found many videos of amateur shells with these effects! So why not discuss it? However I am more interested in the interactions of the elements. What makes the color behind the star? Aluminum? Magnalium? I repeat my question: it's possible create cylindrical stars with these effects? Thanks.

This is going deep into the chemistry of color. A good book like shimizu may explain the interaction of the salts, chlorine donors, metals, and oxidizers . There isn't enough room on a post to explain this info.

The pumped stars are limited to certain effects. Rolled stars allow many layers of effects.

Edited by pyrojig

I am more interested in the interactions of the elements. What makes the color behind the star? Aluminum? Magnalium?

There's a very basic overview of this here, and you can probably find some more in-depth articles with a bit of searching. As pyrojig suggests though, some good pyrotechnic literature would be a good start to understanding colour in fireworks. Doing a search here for 'books' should point you in the right direction.