APC Forum

Bismuth Oxide = Bismuth Trioxide?

usapyro

I am a bit confused here... It appears that there is two different names for the same substance. Not sure though...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bismuth_oxide

I'm trying to figure out if the Bismuth Oxide here is the same as the bismuth trioxide I currently have.

http://www.uspigment.com/chemicals.shtml

The pricing is a bit cheaper than skylighter...

Did you never take general chemistry?

Yes, they are the same.

edit

Edited by dan999ification

They're the same in this case, but more than one bismuth oxide does exist.

Makes you wonder if it can be used 1:1 . Or if the Trioxide is needed in a smaller amount to balance the mix.

They're the same in this case, but more than one bismuth oxide does exist.

i thought so :D

dan.

Makes you wonder if it can be used 1:1 . Or if the Trioxide is needed in a smaller amount to balance the mix.

I really have no idea what you're getting at. Of the common ones, an oxide with the approximate formula BiO (bismuth suboxide) exists, as does Bi2O4. You're rather unlikely to encounter either of those however without deliberately making them. The suboxide is made by heating Bi2O3 under vacuum, and you can over do it. The Bi2O4, and other higher oxides, requires extended autoclave reactions.

I really have no idea what you're getting at. Of the common ones, an oxide with the approximate formula BiO (bismuth suboxide) exists, as does Bi2O4. You're rather unlikely to encounter either of those however without deliberately making them. The suboxide is made by heating Bi2O3 under vacuum, and you can over do it. The Bi2O4, and other higher oxides, requires extended autoclave reactions.

Sorry for the bad description. I was wondering if it made any diff if what type of oxide was used . Such as %of oxide needed to balance the mix. I guess to put it short , would a Trioxide be used in the same ratios as a suboxide? Could they be sub'd for each other other with out changing the math of the comp. ?

I suspect a change in ratio would be required. However, you're unlikely to ever run into a situation where that would be necessary. Like I said, you generally would have to deliberately seek out those other ones to ever get them. If you buy something generically labeled as "bismuth oxide" and it's less than $100/lb, it will be the trioxide almost without question.

I suspect a change in ratio would be required. However, you're unlikely to ever run into a situation where that would be necessary. Like I said, you generally would have to deliberately seek out those other ones to ever get them. If you buy something generically labeled as "bismuth oxide" and it's less than $100/lb, it will be the trioxide almost without question.

That does pose a good point... Thank you for the info.

I guess it would be a similar situation for a bismuth Nitrate(or is it sub-nitrate)and sub-carbonate , being used for a crackle comp . Are these the only salts that can sub for the lead tetra-oxide comps?

• 3 weeks later...

That does pose a good point... Thank you for the info.

I guess it would be a similar situation for a bismuth Nitrate(or is it sub-nitrate)and sub-carbonate , being used for a crackle comp . Are these the only salts that can sub for the lead tetra-oxide comps?

Seattle Pottery sells Bismuth Subnitrate for $12 1/2lb. That's still more than twice the price of Red Lead.

I have to admit that mixing common and proper names does get a bit confusing.

http://www.seattlepo...gory_Code=RMPAC