APC Forum

Hot drying resistant glitter...

usapyro

I have been making some Jerry Taylors Tremalon glitter stars for new years and I have noticed it is MUCH more temperature stable than D1. It's drying at 135F with steady airflow with no ammonia odor or anything. Same 2% Boric acid and 10% denatured alcohol water that I use with D1. Sprayed and pressed the same way.

First I thought possibly the higher Antimony Trisulfide content made it more stable to higher temperature drying... But, then noticed that D1 actually has less Al. My current theory is that the Sodium Oxalate or the Strontium Carbonate is somehow preventing any aluminum breakdown.

I have really bad luck with D1 going ammonia crazy on me and solving why Tremalon is much more stable to higher temperature drying would be very interesting. This is what happens when you start making new years shells four days before new years... Ha! :wacko: As for why I am not using alcohol... Don't have any Butvar Resin (Glitter safe alcohol binder.) on me at the moment. http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15&ProductID=17099

Tremalon (Jerry Taylor)

KNO3 49g

C 9.8g

S 6.6g

Antimony TS (Needle) 12.2g

AL (Atomized) 8.2g

Sodium Oxalate (Or NAHCO3) 4.1g

Strontium Carbonate 4.1g

Dextrin 6g - Binder (Water)

D1

KNO3 54g

C 11.5g

S 19g

AL (Atomized) 7.5g

NAHCO3 8g

Binder (Water) +4g

Edited by usapyro

i have only ever made ralph's glitter, chosen because it has none of the typical glitter problems, plus there is some variation on the effect if you change the production methods, takes a week to dry though.

dan.

alot of winakors I have made almost all of them ,I use a damp rid in plastic box to draw out any moisture works great fast answere to drying

I've always chalked up the problems of D1 to the relatively high NaHCO3 levels. Both salts are quite basic, but I've actually had more problems with oxalates actually. That probably is more from formula choice though. However, D1 has 2x as much sodium salt, and the bicarbonate is like 3x as soluble as the oxalate. The big thing I think you're hitting on is heat drying. Sodium oxalate remains relatively unchanged as far as solubility goes with temperature going from about 3g/100mL at 20C to 6g at 100C. Sodium bicarbonate on the other hand goes from around 9g/100mL to 24g/100mL.

When you talk about Butvar. Do you mean glitter safe, or glitter compatible? Some of these binders don't seem to like to be compatible with all effects.

Glitter Compatible. It's the only alcohol/acetone solved binder that we could ever find with decent glitter compatibility.

I have used red gum before, but it does change the effect a tiny bit.