APC Forum

Shelf life of chemicals.

Dean411

I bought a bunch of chemical a long long time ago and my father called that he found some stuff of mine in the rafters

of their garage.

I also had a filled out application for a membership to the PGI in the bag dated 7/14/96.

Yes that's like 16 years ago.

I have made several mixes with the chemicals and they work as good as the newer ones I have.

This is a list of the items.

Barium nitrate

Potassium nitrate and perchlorate

Sulphur

C coal

Strontium nitrate

Antimony

Magnesium

Aluminum

Dextrin

All were over a lb except the charcoal and sulphur.

Aside from.caking no other issues and they went through heat and cold up there for a long time.

They should be fine except for caking. I would check on the dextrin at least however. It is organic after all, and could have lost a bit of it's strength over the last 16 years. I really don't know how it holds up to long term storage. It stores fine once activated in stars at least.

I'm glad to hear this as I have a few chemicals that are around 15 years old, they have been stored in water tight packaging and containers so I will be more confident to try them out.

Another related question I am hoping someone might know, how much does heat effect the various chemicals we use in pyrotechnics, for example I store all my chemicals in plastic tubs (the chemicals themselves are in snap lock bags) in a small tin shed, this shed sits out in the sun all day, you can get outside temperatures of 35-40 degrees celsius on a lot of days, the temperature inside is a lot more, what kind of effect does this have on chemicals, can it be dangerous? I never really thought it would considering a lot of finished product made around the world are stored in shipping containers out in the sun, but I thought it would be a relevant question that someone may know?

The chemicals I had in that garage had temp probably around 110 to 120 f and in winter

Around 0 f so mine are working well.

Most pyro chemicals don't react before it's 300oC, so I doubt that 35-40oC will damage them. I'd be careful with NC and NC-lacquer, though.