APC Forum

Capping the ends of fuse to keep stray sparks away

warthog

I am a diabetic. These little orange caps come off of the needle end of my syringes. Since I clip the needles off before disposing of them, the caps are a bit redundant since there is nothing left there to be poked by. The actual clipped needles are collected into a film container (well these come from my test strips but they are the same size) and disposed of with the rest of the syringe as biohazardous waste at the local hospital, This is by law since I am a carrier of Hepatitis C. Why say all of this? No doubt the thread would naturally stray into all of this sort of thing if I didn't so I hope this helps keep it on track a little.

:)

Any further questions or comments on my health may be directed to me via PM where I will be happy to respond to them.

med_gallery_11291_107_57296.jpg

One day as I was preparing my used needles for drop off, it occurred to me that these might fit over visco or paper firecracker fuse. I checked and indeed it did and it fit over a good enough length that I was able to attach a Falcon Style igniter onto it with ease. Also without a lot of extra fuse left open to sparks that might be set off by accident during a display. Prior to this, I would use masking tape to do this but it was a bit of work to get it back off when it was time to attach the igniter. These tear off without a fight but stay on without much fear of them dropping off by accident as ling as you add a bit of tape around the bottom edge of the cap.

I generate at least three of these a day, more during some holiday feasting since I tend to over-do it a bit then. However I am serious about keeping my sugars where they should be and I am not of the type that thinks shooting extra insulin solves the problem, it only makes you fat which then exacerbates the overall problem. Now I have only been keeping these since around the beginning of Nov, end of Oct and I have not only those in the little container but quite a few on pre-made shell leaders and also on a number of pre-made shells and other such since we are preparing for NYE. If you are careful, you can put them into your pocket as you rip them off so once you have a fair number of them, you have what you need. Of course you will need to resupply the lost ones now and then but they are reusable and for me at least, free as a part of the deal.

I'd like to know if anybody also thinks this is a good idea or equally why it might be a bad one. I know that the first line of defense should be to keep the "reloads" a reasonable distance away from the firing line. Second line of defense is of course to keep them in a cooler or some other type of fire resistant container with a tight fitting lid. For me, these make the last line of defense, a "Fuse Cap", easier to use.

wink2.gif

If it is easier than rolling safety caps out of kraft paper, then why not? Many of the larger consumer rockets come with orange caps over the fuse. I don't fuse my items until right before they will be shot, but I don't make shells either. I can't think of any reason NOT to use those sharps caps as a fuse safety cap. Some type of safety cap and a ready box sounds like a good idea. If the sharp goes into a safe container, then into a biohazard waste, the cap would just go in the trash. I throw away the same type of caps all the time at work, they just go into regular trash then into a landfill, might as well use them if you can.

It is a lot easier than making them from tape or Kraft, at least it is for me.

If anyone thinks they would make things easier for them too, shoot me a PM.

I'd be happy to share the wealth for the simple price of postage.

Edited by warthog