APC Forum

Book on chemistry

Chemguy

I noticed that asilentbob is making a pyrotechnics reference, but it doesn't contain so much on chemistry, this book is similar to asilentbobs one, as it would be usefull to have in our workshops. To make it a sucess, everyone can submit microsoft word files and I will compile them into a book (hopefully). The book should cover production of chemicals, safety, resources, and a lot of the stuff that is here in the forum. It should also have pictures, diagrams and tables etc. It can also contain some stuff on pyrotecnics such as basic black powder and flash powders. Thanks to all that help.

Already something like that going on at SMDB. I suggest you check over there for a stickied book thread, as well as the library.

Yep, we could never compete with the some BromicAcid is compiling. I've contributed a little bit. Frankly the people here arn't smart or skilled enough in chemistry to make something like that as we mainly cater to pyro. Well, the people that are smart and skilled enough might as well just contribute to the one on MSDB.

Yes i remember reading some of BromicAcid's one a while back, it is VERY well done.

What might be helpful chemistry wise in my opinion would be like solubility tables, periodic table, reactivity series, some incompatibilitys, freezing and boiling points, etc, however the scope of chemistry is so vast that it would be quite thick. Now on the other hand, a few pages devoted to a section of chemistry such as electrolysis and the tables commonly refrenced for that would be useful.

Good idea, I read HBrO3's one, and it was very good, but not done, and too big for easy use. A couple of pages on electrolysis, or incompatible chemicals would be usefull, and there are probably allready a few out there.

Yeah, very true Rogue. What we want to do generally involves an incompatibility. For instance Charcoal is an incompatable material with KNO3. Guess I won't be making BP anymore. ^_^

True, any two things that react could be classified as incompatible, too bad about the BP ;) . But I saw some MSDS sheet about incompatibility, it said silver and tartaric acid was incompatible. So I put some silver in a strong solution, put it in the shed overnight, nothing, maybe it meant them as both powders.

Silver is an unreactive metal, and I didn't mix a whole container of tartaric acid or anything, anyway, I don't want to waste silver.

It is because I believe silver tartrate is a very very weak explosive. Or that it decomposes to ultrafine pyrophoric silver. Its one of these, but I forget which. And that was another 'worst case scenario' for the reaction. Silver will never dissolve in tartaric acid. The silver tartrate would be formed by reaction of silver salt with tartaric acid.

Hell, perchloric is incompatible with EtOH, because it supposedly forms ethyl perchlorate, but what is hilarious is the Meyer and Sporrmann paper on alkyl perchlorates distinctly says this will never happen.