APC Forum

Black powder rocket questions

JFeve81

Ill let you know if my new 7/16" UT core burners can lift one on Saturday ;)

Should be interesting either way.

I use 1/2" UT rockets to lift 2-1/2" shells and BP/whistle 1# rockets to lift 3-4" shells, 3# whistle to lift 5-6" shells.

-dag

• 1 month later...

The 7/16" ID rockets did lift my commercial 1-3/4" ball shells to 200' and were just tipping over when they broke. I was really impressed in their performance.

-dag

Just a quick question that's probably been answered a million times. What size rocket will lift a 3" shell? Standard core burner. 1 lb?

absolutely

• 8 years later...

Endburners can't lift much beyond their own weight.

Really ? Estes has been lifting rockets with them for years. What are you basing this tid bit of wisdom on?

As for whether a nozzleless core burner is capable of lifting more weight than one with a nozzle or vice versa will depend on who you ask. There are so many variables. The type of spindle and the fuel matched to it is a big one.

If you are interested in lifting nice sized headers, a traditional core burner tooling set in 8 oz or 1 lb is a great place to start (or end up). From there more aggressive tooling is available such as universal tooling, super bp, whistle and so on. It gets more complicated the further you dig in. But well worth it...

As a total newbee it amazes me you have so much experience to share . Why are these other rockets more complicated ? I am curious.

Estes endburners, ie semi-cored endburners, can easily lift 5 times their weight or more due to its dual pulse thrust time curve. it has the small curve that urns for a short period of time to give it the oopmh to get the rocket off the pad at a suitable airspeed, then it transitions to a sustainer thrust .

If one was to make 2 identical core burners with the everting being the same other than nozzleless versus a true de laval nozzle, the later will always produce more thrust. Why ? because it has a real nozzle to expel the gases while the nozzleless doesn't. simple physics 101.