96 replies to this topic

#81 TSO

TSO

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:56 PM

Made my first batch of glitter comp this weekend, #39. I needed a delay comp on my 1lb stinger missiles and I thought this might look pretty good leading up to the header. I used an N95 respirator and gloves due to the Barium and Antinomy. I used mixed hardwood airfloat from Hobby Chemical and screened the comp 4 times through a 20 mesh screen and tried a 1/2 tsp pile loose just to see the effect. Very nice! I'll give an update after I try out the stingers next weekend at our club shoot. I don't have a vid camera, but our shoots are usually taped so I should have some vid to post....I hopePosted Image
Member Northern Lights Pyros http://northernlightspyros.com/
Member PGI http://www.pgi.org/

#82 pyrofear

pyrofear

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:45 AM

hi to all!!! can someone to tell me please which effect of all these winokur are near to this effect?????/ ( who have done it...) ( youtube
piromusical sicily)
at 02:10 silver flashing comets..... and something else...if someone knows which of all winokur pinkish glitters are the best and more red of all...thanks!!
  • sora likes this

#83 warthog

warthog

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Interests:Vestibulum ante faciem Dei

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

Made my first batch of glitter comp this weekend, #39. I needed a delay comp on my 1lb stinger missiles and I thought this might look pretty good leading up to the header. I used an N95 respirator and gloves due to the Barium and Antinomy. I used mixed hardwood airfloat from Hobby Chemical and screened the comp 4 times through a 20 mesh screen and tried a 1/2 tsp pile loose just to see the effect. Very nice! I'll give an update after I try out the stingers next weekend at our club shoot. I don't have a vid camera, but our shoots are usually taped so I should have some vid to post....I hopePosted Image

I guess that means the books arrived safe and sound. Good. :)
מרן אתא
If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord" and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. (Romans 10:9-10).

PGI Member
This post represents my 2 alone.

#84 j3cub

j3cub

Playing with fire

• Donator
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:43 AM

I just made 250g Winokur #20 formula from Tom Perigrin's book Introductory Practical Pyrotechnics. When I fired a pumped star from my star gun, it just burned dim.   After reading the formulas posted here it seems that in his book the table on flitters and glitters has an error. The chart for #20 shows no sulfur and for #13 show 17 parts. It looks like #13 should be 9 parts sulfur and #20 should be 17 parts.  This would also make all the formulas add back up to 100 in the book.  Thanks for the thread.

#85 FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:39 AM

Yeah glitter needs some sulfur or antimony to work right. I have been told antimony can be replaced with sulfur and will work well. But I don't know if and how it changes the appearance.

I have yet to try it myself but trust the source. And with the price of antimony going up and it's toxicity, it may be worth trying.

#86 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,181 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:01 AM

If you want to see how a glitter works without any sulfur and only antimony trisulfide, just check out Win 39.  It's a fairly popular formula.  Also, the toxicity of Sb2S3 is largely overblown by people reading too much into MSDS and hypochondriacs.  Unless you're literally eating it by the spoonful, you'll be fine.  The LC50 for ingestion is around 1.5g/kg of body weight.  The inhalation is similar, though has a slow clearance rate.  Wear a dust mask, like you should be anyway, and you're fine. 

To me, the most attractive glitters are made with some component of both antimony trisulfide and sulfur.  Win 39 is just odd. 

Introductory Practical Pyrotechnics has a multitude of errors that have never been corrected, along with other issues.  Not many people really recommend it as a suitable book for beginners anymore. 

Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#87 FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:20 PM

No, it's not terribly toxic but is one of the more toxic common pyro chems. I also have my body and life permanently damaged from exposure to chemicals so I am a bit more paranoid but far from a hypochondriac.

#88 j3cub

j3cub

Playing with fire

• Donator
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

After adding in the missing sulfur the test out of the star gun was perfect.  I will definitely be double checking my formulas from now on.

#89 pirotek

pirotek

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:51 AM

Winokur #36 test 

#90 pyroMIKE

pyroMIKE

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnics (obviously) anything Radio Control

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:42 PM

Formula please

#91 MrB

MrB

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

Here i guess?

(Link changed as per the suggestion of Mum below. What would we do, what would we be, without him.)

Edited by MrB, 06 December 2017 - 06:16 AM.

#92 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,181 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:07 AM

You may also find the first post in this thread useful.  Probably even more so considering the formula in that link is incorrect.  It was taken from this forum many years ago before I went through and corrected all the typos.  

Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#93 MrB

MrB

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:15 AM

Go figure. I didn't actually verify the composition, and now i have to stand here, with the shaded face.

#94 pirotek

pirotek

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:03 AM

Winokur #36

Potassium Nitrate 38 
Barium Nitrate 16
Aluminium, (atom, spher, 120-325 mesh, 20 micron) 12
Charcoal Airfloat 10
Sulfur 10
Iron (III) Oxide, red 10
Dextrin 4

All according to this composition
except dextrin
I used a wallpaper glue "Quelyd"
I create a jelly from the glue and add to it the composition,
to the desired consistency, from which to cut the stars

#95 MrB

MrB

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:01 PM

Why would you add glue to a composition? It's dextrin bound, just add water. And not a whole lot of it. If you don't have dextrin, go shopping. In a pinch, make your own from starch.

Edited by MrB, 06 December 2017 - 02:01 PM.

#96 pirotek

pirotek

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

I do not like dextrin, it's too hydroscopic in my climate
and in comparison with this glue it needs more in composition
In addition, this glue burns perfectly, and gives a more ductile mass

Here is an example of how this glue burns

p.s. and I also have dextrin

#97 Mixer

Mixer

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:49 AM

I also use wallpaper glue (ready mixed) for my glitter comps. I find it superior to using dextrin - it holds less water, and consolidates into nice hard stars which function nicely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users