APC Forum

sodium silicate

allrocketspsl

I believe a typical concentrated solution is around 40%. As Algenco said, it's supposed to be rather difficult to achieve this concentration from powder. However, that syrupy liquid may not be necessary. I bet a thinner solution would penetrate better, and be easier to prepare.

Credit To The Google Search But,

crush 6 G of silica beads from desiccant packs,

add to 8 G sodium hydroxide ( heated )

add 10 ml water

stir until fully dissolved.

Credit To The Google Search But,

crush 6 G of silica beads from desiccant packs,

add to 8 G sodium hydroxide ( heated )

add 10 ml water

stir until fully dissolved.

I was told that you could not make it from silica beads and sodium hydroxide... Have you tried it yourself?

-dag

Im waiting on ups for my sodium hydroxide, and sodium silicate. That's what I plan on trying out as a recipe. The bought version will be my comparison.

Im waiting on ups for my sodium hydroxide, and sodium silicate. That's what I plan on trying out as a recipe. The bought version will be my comparison.

Could you do a write up (with pictures of course) on the method?

-dag

Dag, nurdrage has a vid on youtube
for making sodium silicate from crushed silica gel crystals and caustic soda. I have some colour changing silica beads and caustic soda ..i may give it a whirl tomorrow.

I would digest not using color change silica beads. The color changing ingredient is poisonous. Plus may alter the reaction.

The blue to pink is toxic as it contains cobalt chloride, i have the safe orange to green type which apparently contains iron salts as the additive.

Edited by Col

Depending on what MSDS you believe*, Cobalt (II) Chloride is about half as toxic as copper oxide or barium nitrate. Are you going to stop using them too?

* - There are conflicting values of 80mg/kg or 766mg/kg for oral rat toxcity.

I guess whatever is used for the color change it must be a small percentage of the whole. From what i can find, iron doesnt react with NaOH so logically its presence shouldn`t make much, if any difference to the end result.

For the cost of a few grams of silica gel and caustic soda, i`ll give it a go and see what happens :)

so mine is in gel form now what add water to it or use as is?

You need to find out what the concentration is, most are 40% and are used as is. If you have a gel, it may have something else in it that may cause it to not work for you. Try a small amount in a cup, add 10% water and see what that does.

-dag

You need to find out what the concentration is, most are 40% and are used as is. If you have a gel, it may have something else in it that may cause it to not work for you. Try a small amount in a cup, add 10% water and see what that does.

-dag

got it from the same place Al gets his