APC Forum

Kid with bb gun blasts attacker

NightHawkInLight

In most of Europe they call you an idiot if you say that guns prevent crime, that is, guns owned by law-abiding private citizens. Police guns are magic on the other hand. They even protect you when the police is not on the crime scene. :rolleyes:

Oh, and the gun law stops criminals from getting unlicensed guns, because everyone knows that a criminal abides the law. <_<

Well, those BB guns are still free here, but you are not allowed to carry, of course.

That's awesome. Good for the boy to handle the situation before law enforcement could get there. He certainly helped prevent a terrible ordeal for his mom.

That's awesome. Good for the boy to handle the situation before law enforcement could get there. He certainly helped prevent a terrible ordeal for his mom.

i couldnt agree more,

its a shame though in the uk the boy would be arrested- not reasonable force

the bb gun would have a 12ftlb power limit making it useless at defending yourself from anything but paper targets

and legally he should not have acsess to it especially in times of need.

id say the attacker was lucky the boy didnt have a 22.

dan.

Dan is right. The laws concerning guns and self-defense are nothing but an insult to law-abiding people in most of Europe. Switzerland and the Czech Republic are the only two countries in Europe where you can carry a real gun for self-protection legally at all. The laws here protect the criminals.

"Dan is right. The laws concerning guns and self-defense are nothing but an insult to law-abiding people in most of Europe. Switzerland and the Czech Republic are the only two countries in Europe where you can carry a real gun for self-protection legally at all. The laws here protect the government."

There, I corrected it for you. The political classes administering the present-day Ferme Générale in Europe haven't forgotten what happened in 1789.

"Dan is right. The laws concerning guns and self-defense are nothing but an insult to law-abiding people in most of Europe. Switzerland and the Czech Republic are the only two countries in Europe where you can carry a real gun for self-protection legally at all. The laws here protect the government."

There, I corrected it for you. The political classes administering the present-day Ferme Générale in Europe haven't forgotten what happened in 1789.

I know that the real reason for gun laws is to make the citizens helpless against the government, of course. And the worst thing is that most people seem to swallow it. In many, if not most, countries in Europe people in general think that you are an idiot if you say that the gun laws are there so that the people should be unable to revolt. That the people should have guns as an ultimate protection against the government is more than most people can grasp here.

But a side-effect of it, of course, is that you are also helpless against criminals, if you are a law-abiding citizen.

99% of my countrymen, including gun owners, say that I'm an idiot, "dangerous person", "asocial", "should move to the USA" etc. if I tell them the fact about gun laws.

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

I would be interested to know what the gun crime rate is in Europe compared to the US. If it's anything like the differences between US cities, the areas with the strictest gun control are the places with the most gun related violent crime.

I would be interested to know what the gun crime rate is in Europe compared to the US. If it's anything like the differences between US cities, the areas with the strictest gun control are the places with the most gun related violent crime.

In principle, yes. There are less criminals using firearms than in the US, but that's probably only because you're not allowed to carry any kind of weapon publically in great parts of Europe, so law-abiding people are defenseless and the criminals simply don't need firearms to attack them succesfully. A firearm would put a criminal in jail, while a knife in most cases wouldn't, at least in many countries in nothern and western Europe.

Russia has a draconic gun law but a much higher murder rate than almost every state in the US: http://en.wikipedia....icide-world.png

That northern and central Europe have a low murder rate is rather due to good economics and welfare state than gun control.

Here's my BB gun! These aren't considered to be firearms in the USA, strangely enough. But you do have to finish what you started in six shots, unless your opponent is similarly armed or agrees to a 10 minute time-out to reload.

post-10245-0-57619800-1322198288_thumb.jpg

That's a darn fine pistol you got there. What do those go for if you don't mind me asking? That would be a fun item out at the range.

That model is a Pietta replica Remington 1858 New Army Police, blued barrel, 36 cal, about $250. I picked it up for $190 at a gun show. Check out Cabela's black powder section. You can buy them mail order, since they're not considered firearms by law.

Oh, that's a black powder gun. Here only air guns and CO2 guns are license free. Black powder guns are only license free if they were made before 1890, which most still functional black powder guns here aren't, of course.

But I agree that it is a nice gun. I love that old "western" look on revolvers. :)

(...) Switzerland and the Czech Republic are the only two countries in Europe where you can carry a real gun for self-protection legally at all. The laws here protect the criminals.

Thats actually not true (at least for Switzerland). You need a licence to carry a gun...but you won't get it unless you work for a security company or the police.

I know that the real reason for gun laws is to make the citizens helpless against the government, of course. And the worst thing is that most people seem to swallow it. In many, if not most, countries in Europe people in general think that you are an idiot if you say that the gun laws are there so that the people should be unable to revolt. That the people should have guns as an ultimate protection against the government is more than most people can grasp here.

Your statement is a little too general. In my country every male which is mentally and physically not handicapped has to join the army and automatically gets a rifle which he carries at home.

PS: In Switzerland you're not allowed to manufacture any type of pyrotechnic composition thus including black powder. Ulrich Bretscher (as written in the other thread) is wrong in this concern.

I guess they have changed the laws a bit in Switzerland the last years.

Only the Czech Republic left then.

Now I'm just waiting for someone to inform us that the Czech Republic has changed its laws as well.

What's wrong with people here in Europe? Why do we accept this? Guns were free in my country when my great grandfather was young. When they suddenly licensed them, no-one protested.

I guess they have changed the laws a bit in Switzerland the last years.

Only the Czech Republic left then.

Now I'm just waiting for someone to inform us that the Czech Republic has changed its laws as well.

What's wrong with people here in Europe? Why do we accept this? Guns were free in my country when my great grandfather was young. When they suddenly licensed them, no-one protested.

Because every change for more government control is done in small steps. Each step small enough that you would be called insane to say it was intolerable. I'm sure there wouldn't be riots in the streets in the US if the laws suddenly changed so that all firearms need to be registered. 5 or ten years later some sort of violent crime would occur that would be hyped up in the media, and all of a sudden you need a permit to own any civilian model assault rifles. After everyone has become used to that regulation to the point that they don't remember what it was like before, now all hunting rifles .223 and up need a permit, and few civilians have anything to say because they're already used to the assault rifle regulation. It's easy enough to do that for the other firearms also. From that point the permits become harder and harder to get until it's the same as Europe. If it weren't for the NRA we would probably already be there.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it that bad in the US too? Why don't people love freedom? Benjamin Franklin's words about giving up essential freedoms for a little temporary security are timeless and should be known by everyone.

The Nazis disarmed the Jews. The communists disarmed everybody except hunters in the Soviet Union and literally everyone in China and North Korea. Imperial Japan centuries ago confiscated swords owned by "common people".

How hard is it to get that gun laws are just a lame excuse for disarming the people?