APC Forum

How to Make Meal Coated Rice Hulls

vh718

Just a Tutorial on how i make my MCRH. Hope this helps anyone who doesnt know how to make them.

video

nicely done mate

This is the best method, but I think it's unnecessary to prewet the rice hulls.

I have another method to make hulls in bulk. I take a big container and I put my hulls there, about 150g. Then I spray them, sprinkle powder and hand roll, until I spill all the powder. I usually coat them 8:1, which results in 1350 overall weight of hulls.

Are you talking about doing a Toro where there is both burst slurry and dry composition present? If so, I can't believe I never thought of that before. Doing it with only a paste of burst slurry is fairly tricky to get right. I've only done it with cotton seeds. Other things may be different. In shimizu, it describes the manufacture as making all of the burst into a slurry, adding the cores, and stirring until everything is well coated. I speak from experience that this is an easy way to get a solid ball of coated cotton seeds all glued together. It was salvageable by breaking everything up every hour or so, and respreading it out.

I imagine that it could be quite expedient if one experimented enough to get the proper water:burst ratio for the slurry to coat the seeds well, but not so much that everything coheres into a solid mass. I clearly had too much water in there. It would seem that even using a mixture of slurry and dry burst would require a bit of experimentation or at least an open mind as to what final ratio you want.

that makes sense, ive broken open chinese 1.3 shells and the hulls look like miniature stars, surely the TORO method would produce a result like this...

Actually Cali, if you're doing it right your burst should be quite solidly adhered no matter what method you're using to adhere the burst composition. If your hulls are coming out dusty, it may help to spray some extra water on the hulls after everything is adhered to get them good and damp and ensure the binder dries hard.

theyre not dusty, more like raspberried. which goes away when I TORO them, so I guess I assumed that's why...