APC Forum

6" Time Fuse

xBangergoosEx

I am building my first 6" ball shell for NYE, and i need to know how long of a time fuse to put on it. I have the Jap time fuse that burns at about 3.5s/ft.

Edit: I know the general rule of thumb to make the time fuse a second for every inch diameter of the shell (6sec fuse for a 6" shell, for example) but i would like everyone's input.

Edited by xBangergoosEx

I agree with Al, 4.5 seconds is about right for a 6" shell, six seconds seems a bit over kill for a shell that size.

it also depends on the stars, fast burning charcoal C6 for example can be broken lower than a willow

with C6 and firefly I use 3.5 sec, I love it when charcoal stars burn out 100' above the ground

oh sh-t, oh sh-t, ahhh :)

I agree with the others, 4.5sec is pretty good. I use about 1/4" of time fuse per inch of diameter. My fuse typically burned around 3 sec/inch, but I use that kind of regardless. I haven't gotten much fuse that burned overly fast though.

http://www.pyroguide.com has many tables collated from the wider web giving some ideas for all the numbers for a selection of shell sizes.

However it's your design so you eventually need it to be what you want!!

A typical 6 would have 75g of lift and rise for 4 ish seconds, add more lift and break it hard and later then it rises to a greater height and you can sometimes have a better effect, I like this for willows and tiger tail which seems to fall for very long time so it needs the height to start from.