APC Forum

Your Mileage May Vary...

stckmndn

I live in the desert. Many of the general rules I have read about pyrotechnics do not apply to us desert denizens.

For instance I can press a crossette, load and wrap it, and fire it in 1-2 days tops. Not 2 weeks. No fan needed. It's just that dry and hot where I live.

My point is this: We are all working under different conditions, using infinitely differing methods, experiencing vastly varying results.

So please stop and take a deep breath before posting a negative response about someone's working methods. If it works, it works.

Peace be with you. And stay green.

Dan K

good post Dan....

Lots of things work that are outside the norm...that's what makes this hobby fun....we just have to be safe.

I never expected to double my volume of BP for small reokets with sawdust off the shop floor....

Edited by Blackthumb

Hopefully methods published have worked for the original maker, though a simple list of ingredients may not have the full method included. Sadly after that it's up to each maker to ensure that their methods suit their style and place of work.

We were trying to reproduce the fuel used for Steve LaDuke's UT in the 1 lb size. So we ball milled the 70/20/10 as specified and pressed our motors. Turns out 3 of 7 were catos. So my buddy actually got Steve on the horn and it turns out what was meant by "ball milling" actually meant mixing the green chems in the mill without the media. Go figure.

And yet I cannot get a rocket to fly with any type of header using U/H tooling and green mix 70/20/10.

Let me add another very important point to the discussion of pyrotechnics in general. There is a HUGE difference between meal made in a HF tumbler and meal made the proper way with the right tools. The two should never be compared. If you are using a HF mill, stop. Go to the ball milling thread and read it word for word. You can mill in your HF mill for a thousand years and it won't equal what you can do in two hours with a proper mill.

And yet I cannot get a rocket to fly with any type of header using U/H tooling and green mix 70/20/10.

Are you using a nozzle and bulkhead?

Are you using a nozzle and bulkhead?

Yep. I have success with ball milled fuel, which I am fine with, but when he talks about his spindle design, he's clear that he uses commercial air float charcoal and screen mixed fuel. Obviously my process or supplied chems must be different than his, but it really isn't that big of a deal, I'll just keep dialing in my fuel until I'm happy with the results. Like the title of the thread, YMMV.

About, the Blue Streak clone plans. I have a few ideas for the header to try on 2 different motors this Spring, but I'd be glad to hear input from everyone else.

I have some cedar charcoal from a friend that even with a green mix works very well in the UT but as I use the hard wood charcoal, I can barely lift the rocket motor by itself so I think your experience is pretty normal. I do like to ball mill it all though, no sense in using green mix when the potential for real power lies in an hour of ballmilling.

-dag

I have some cedar charcoal from a friend that even with a green mix works very well in the UT but as I use the hard wood charcoal, I can barely lift the rocket motor by itself so I think your experience is pretty normal. I do like to ball mill it all though, no sense in using green mix when the potential for real power lies in an hour of ballmilling.

-dag

One thing I haven't tried yet is the fuel screen mixed with Alder coal. 60/30/10 fuel ball milled with Alder was too hot for standard core burner tooling and a nozzle. I need to try that batch of fuel on the U/H spindle too. We have a shoot I can attend in December, so I'll need to make a few small batches of fuel up and try some new things out.

• Like 1

SLD says the ball milled way is fine but to slow it down with an admixture of 40-120 mesh charcoal. So we have a series of tests to do with that. Should have that problem figured out shortly.

We lifted 350 gr easily with the milled 70/20/10. But the Cato rates were unacceptable. Mind you these tests are for my friend's tooling. I really don't feel a need to ever make a header that heavy. I make 2.2" headers that are lifted easily and smoothly using traditional core burners with standard fuels.

I'll try to post my blue streak drawing here tomorrow. I've got one made up but won't be able to shoot for a while.