APC Forum

tubes

feeln17

Anyone tell me is there a big difference in buying from hobby hose ( they need to be cut ?) or just get tubes from skylighter or pyrpcreations or ???? Thanks as I'm just getting started in this and want to do it right. and safe (:

Depends on what you want to do with the tubes. NEPT (Hobby Horse) tubes are the best but cost a lot. If you buy from Skylighter or Pyrocreations, you will pay about the same but will get the spongy tubes. Best to either roll your own or buy the NEPT tubes.

-dag

What glues are you using and what is best for rolling the tubes, I have been given samples of tubes that I can bulk buy (600) which I would do. however they are made from a chipboard paper with a reasonably large lip on the inside although they do seem strong. . I have made tubes before, but not with great success.

What glues are you using and what is best for rolling the tubes, I have been given samples of tubes that I can bulk buy (600) which I would do. however they are made from a chipboard paper with a reasonably large lip on the inside although they do seem strong. . I have made tubes before, but not with great success.

These sound like the tubes Pyrocreations sell, pulpy parallel wound tubes. Take a dowel of the same size as the ID of your tube, taper one end to a point, wax it up and rub it in then use this to open up the tube ends slightly so that they will fit the spindle base and so that the rammer will slide in without catching the paper.

These tubes work well for nozzleless rockets and gerbs but fail quite often when used for fast whistle or nozzled rockets.

I roll tubes from Kraft paper and wood glue or wheat paste, I have had poor luck with dextrine.

-dag

In my situation I think i would buy them. not using that many . only just getting started and might fire off 20 or so rockets a year, maybe build a few for my annaul 4th deal . and try to do some gerbs and such don the road. my main interest lies in shells and the building of them, thought it be best to start learnign with rockets. i want to build 3/4" rockets thanks for all your help guys your the best !

Hi can some one tell me what the NEPT tubes are made from be it chipboard paper or good quality Kraft. I have tried some convolute paper tubes in the uk , but am finding them tempermental in strength , and when they cato they are tearing from top to bottom with the grain of the paper/ chipboard.

also when rolling your own tubes how long do you allow to dry.

Thanks

There is a lot if information about the NEPT tubes over on Passfire but I can sum it up pretty quick for you.

NEPT tubes are indeed Kraft, virgin stock and are comprised of *three sheets of Kraft that has been calendered and bond into one sheet and that is coated with white dextrine and rolled up on a mandrel.

* Theory has it that the sheets are pressed together with heat to bond them together. The paper is very blonde and the fibers are very long.

-dag

NEPT tubes are made from high grade Kraft papers. They use at least 2 weights of kraft as you can see the inner surface of the tubes has a heavier grade paper but the tubes are finished with a relatively lightweight kraft. I have also been having problems with the tubes available in the UK and ended up ordering NEPT tubes. When rolling my own I dry them in the oven when my wife is not around.

Try soaking the tubes you have in wood hardener or similar - it helps.

NEPT tubes are 1 piece thick kraft, I've had to soak a few due to a stuck rammer

I also thought they were 1 piece of thick kraft rolled up. I've also had to soak and unroll a few when they got stuck on a spindle. It looked like fairly thick kraft, some peeled off in one piece, others seemed like the layers were fused together sort of like a pasted shell.

I leave my tubes in the drying box for a full 24 hours, when they come out they ring like hardwood dowels.

It would be nice to have the option of buying NEPT tubes but importing them is way too expensive.

I maintain an average pressure of 25kg on the tube and i can`t roll too many before cramp sets in but i haven`t had one split yet so they`ll do for me.

I`ll have a much easier time once i get the motorised tube rolling machine finished ;) but here`s a few that were handrolled.

3/4" id x 3/16" wall (8), 3/4" id x 1/8" wall (10) and 9/16" id x 2mm wall (7). All but 5 just need cutting to length.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/colinspyro/2011/tubes.jpg