APC Forum

tooling order

eggi96

Im about to order tooling from firesmith. Is there anyone in Australia wanting to do a group buy since the shipping will be cheaper. Please reply soon as I need to get my order through

If you're getting rocket tooling for rammed motors make sure you don't forget to order a case extender. You'll wish you had.

How much is the shipping btw?

Yes, very. It helps keep the rammer straight when ramming the last increment and plug. It allows you to form a plug very near the top of the tube.

pretty easy to make one mate

if you dont have or dont make a very short section of rammer will stay straight but to fill the last few mm's will need patience.

i use a combinatin of the short rammer [mines about an inch for 3/4" and 15mm for 10mm] and a longer tube than needed to get around this, the longer tube also helps to accomodate the passfire tube.

dan.

That is pretty clever but we're talking about spending an additional $20 that will add convenience and guaranteed performance over the life of the tooling. Just saying.

Time for you to try the real thing as you are pretty knowledgeable.

IMHO, a case extender is really valuable when it comes to ramming and when using a hand pumped press as the alignment of the ram is essential to keeping the casing from cracking or bending but when using a motorized hydraulic press, I can press the comp all the way to the top without an extender.

They are handy and if they were part of the package I would have them.

-dag

I like to hit what I'm making. =) The case extenders work great for that. I've done it both ways. Won't ram without an extender again.

Just received the 4 oz case extender today from Wolter to use with my dagabu tooling. Considering changing my handle to csxtndrdn. ;)

• 2 weeks later...