APC Forum

Priming a parlon bound star

dangerousamateur

i use the same priming method as mumbles, if the pattie is too wet or too dry when you cut, the surface of each star can ripple up looking untidy but you get some jagged edges that will take fire easy.

if you roll the pattie out between some shims as opposed to squashing by hand you can roll the prime on both sides without increasing the finished stars size, then cut.

once cut i roll or shake them in prime to coat the edges dry them and re apply some more.

turns out ive been using pinball prime just never payed attention to the name.

pot perc 71

airfloat c 14

red gum 9

magnalium 6

20g should prime 100g stars nicely i only make it ten grams at a time

you can swap out the redgum for dex and bind with water if you wish.

dan.

Don't swap out red gum for dextrin. It's a fuel in that formula before it's a binder, and making some a drastic substitution will completely change the formula. The directions that came with the formula specify the base formula (perc, charcoal, and RG), and then go on to say that if it is to be water bound you add +1oz/lb of dextrin, and that the heat can also be increased with +1oz/lb of Al, MgAl, or Silicon.

I never tried it but since we wont both, a prime hot and also sensitive enough, why not using a pinball style perchlorate formula and add some sulphur?

Same thing in veline superprime: why not swap the hated (and difficult to get ;) ) dichromate for sulphur to ease ignition?

Or just use KP and add +5% Si? Perchlorate burns hotter than nitrate and should be much more sensitive.

Thus far I'm fine with BP and +5Si, but I had some failures...

Edited by mabuse00

pot perc 71

airfloat c 14

red gum 9

magnalium 6

Succesfull test. Quick and dirty - just some stars and some slow flash in a TP roll on the ground.

For rocket headers I will add some meal prime on top.

Don't swap out red gum for dextrin. It's a fuel in that formula before it's a binder, and making some a drastic substitution will completely change the formula. The directions that came with the formula specify the base formula (perc, charcoal, and RG), and then go on to say that if it is to be water bound you add +1oz/lb of dextrin, and that the heat can also be increased with +1oz/lb of Al, MgAl, or Silicon.

ok, i never have and i should not have said its only it was recomended by a mod on a uk forum, i took as gospel, i havnt used the prime long or much and should really look up the prep before talking about it.

dan.

• 2 weeks later...
The original source of all this Parlon cutting stuff is Pyrotechnica VII. It's also where the alcohol hint comes from. Perhaps you should consider purchasing it to get the information from there.

It's not hard to ignite parlon stars that are well done. The really tricky thing is to do them well, i.e. avoiding getting water trapped inside them.

I made some blue parlon stars recently, and the air was pretty humid, so they might no work properly. They ignite well, but they might be scattered by the burst in a shell.

Rolled parlon stars are the best but hardest to make. David Bleser advices to make them on a hot summer day but in the shadow.