APC Forum

Portfire observations and antimony trisulfide question.

Short5

I have been playing with portfires. I made some using this formula in parts

Potassium Nitrate 6

Sulfur 2

meal 1

I used a medium fast meal.

I take news paper and make 4 turns around a 1/4" rod. I seal this with NC lacquer. I hand press about an inch of bentonite clay in the bottom for a handle. I then hand press the composition in place.

They burned really well with a small flame that I couldn't blow out.. They drop a fare bit of glowing dross as they burn. I found they burned pretty even but occasionally would burn uneven for a few seconds until it dropped a glob of dross out of the way. Mine burn at about 1.25 minutes per inch.

Tonight I made a white portfire using the formula

Potassium Nitrate 8

Sulfur 1

Antimony Trisulfide 1

I got the formula off Alan Yate's page (thank you for posting it Alan). He commented that it was a very good portfire and mentioned it's clean even burn and low smoke. I found it did work very nicely but only moderately better than the first formula and with plenty of smoke. I did not time it.

It worked very well but my concern is the antimony trisulfide. This is the first time I used it and I found myself going to extremes to avoid contact and contamination based on the toxicity. I found myself dodging any smoke coming off the portfire. For me the improved performance over the first portfire I tried is not worth the risk of using something poisonous. Am I being over cautious or paranoid? I mean is it like working with lead for example. Lead is poisonous but reasonable caution and you are fine. Or is it like if I get a smear of antimony trisulfide on my skin and don't see it I am getting kidney failure? I was working with a whole big 1.5 grams lol. Really I don't worry working with it as I am wearing protective gear but I am sure there was residue on the paper even though I wiped it off and there is the smoke of course.

Anyhow I have some more of the mix with the antimony trisufide left, I will try to time it next time.

Edited by Short5

Generally speaking, a chemical needs to be soluble in water to be dangerously toxic, so antimony sulfide is fairly benign if you don't eat or drink around it or inhale the dust. Lead, barium, mercury, cadmium, chromium and most everything else "known to the State of California" or the European Green parties... meh. After they've destroyed industrial civilization they'll try to ban stone axes. Just be sure not to inhale or ingest dust or fumes, and wash your hands. Beryllium is a good element to avoid if you want to live, and stay away from tellurium if you want to retain any friends.

Dr. Shimizu probably had some contact with poisonous stuff in his younger days, before others made the experiments and everything else for him. He lived to 99. Lancaster and Hardt are also still alive and in their 80's something.

Antimony trisulfide is not very toxic unless eaten.

Environmentalism has gone too far.

Lets correct this.

False environmentalism exists and is generally misguided by complete lack of scientific awareness... "we are hurting the good spirits!"

There is also a genuine environmental movement based on the frankly terrifying rate of wilderness and biodiversity loss in much of the world.

PLEASE can people stop disregarding the entire environmental issue based on the (admittedly depressing) lack of scientific knowledge of an unfortunately vocal and ignorant minority within the group.

So, without looking dumber than the airy fairies, I'm sure you can choose a much better word than "environmentalism" to casually disregard.

Well, antimony trisulfide in fireworks doesn't contribute much to eradicating wilderness, I guess, without being a professor in biology or similar.

Well, antimony trisulfide in fireworks doesn't contribute much to eradicating wilderness, I guess, without being a professor in biology or similar.

If you were that specific at first I would have had no need to reply.

I'm sure you understand though, in hindsight, that your statement "environmentalism has gone too far" is both a very different statement, and a rather stupid one.

I like the the term "chemophobes".

"Chemical sounding name.... the MSDS has a LETHAL DOSE! and it is only 45mg (per 100g). I don't understand the risks so this must be heavily regulated!!!!"

The eco-fascists damage their cause when they make statements such as "the debate is over" or "99.9% of scientists agree". Is it really possible to be that stupid?

Dr. Shimizu probably had some contact with poisonous stuff in his younger days, before others made the experiments and everything else for him. He lived to 99. Lancaster and Hardt are also still alive and in their 80's something.

Antimony trisulfide is not very toxic unless eaten.

Yes, Dr. Shimizu just passed away this February (I believe), at quite an advanced age. Ron Lancaster is still alive. However Alexander Hardt passed away in 1989 at the age of 58 of cancer. There is a short mention in the editor's preface in his book about a history of pyrotechnic books being published or reissued well after the author's passing, as well as several of the other authors and editors writing short tributes and notes about him. There is also a more formal thing in pyrotechnica XIII.

As far as antimony toxicity, it doesn't worry me. Look up the MSDS for the materials we use, and you'll see it's really not so bad. I generally assume Antimony Trioxide is the combustion product of antimony trisulfide as far as smoke inhalation goes.

Yes, Dr. Shimizu just passed away this February (I believe), at quite an advanced age. Ron Lancaster is still alive. However Alexander Hardt passed away in 1989 at the age of 58 of cancer. There is a short mention in the editor's preface in his book about a history of pyrotechnic books being published or reissued well after the author's passing, as well as several of the other authors and editors writing short tributes and notes about him. There is also a more formal thing in pyrotechnica XIII.

As far as antimony toxicity, it doesn't worry me. Look up the MSDS for the materials we use, and you'll see it's really not so bad. I generally assume Antimony Trioxide is the combustion product of antimony trisulfide as far as smoke inhalation goes.

Thanks for an adult answer Mumbles. I did look up the MSDS as always and it is part of what gave me pause. A couple answers here and some more research set my mind at ease some.