APC Forum

Star Plates

Peret

Here's a new half-inch star plate I just received. What is wrong with this picture?

post-10245-0-77684600-1320813839_thumb.jpg

Ok, here's a clue.

It's not a lot of use for making half inch stars, but I suppose I could use it for pressing aspirins.

I won't say who sold it to me, but I guess since I got it in a half-off sale, I got my money's worth - half a star plate.

post-10245-0-47281100-1320813979_thumb.jpg

looks like you will need a very slow burning comp .

Try turning the pin plate around. Given that these are held to typical chinese quality standards, the pin plate doesn't fit into the hole plate in both orientations like something from Wolter or Ben Smith would. The ones I've seen had a slash marked on them that connected the top and bottom plates. I can see this on the pin plate, but not the hole plate. If you turn them around, do you get something that lines up?

Oh it lines up ok, Mumbles. The marks are on the other side where you can't see them. The problem is the part with the holes in it is only half an inch thick. It should be at least two diameters thick, so that after pressing the stars come out about as long as they are round. With this piece of junk I'd have to fill it and press it two or three times to come even close, and a full half inch length is unattainable.

Here is the tool I thought I was buying, from the vendor's catalog. Note the thickness of the hole plate is the same as the pin plate. Also it has more pins.

http://www.skylighter.com/images/web_pictures/tl3006.jpg

Edited by Peret

I won't say who sold it to me, but I guess since I got it in a half-off sale, I got my money's worth - half a star plate.

well at least you received yours. they just didnt include my 1/4'' plate. no email, no call, nothing in the box stating it wasnt going to be included.

i had to call and they said it was back-order, after my order was placed, then stated they probably wont get any more in.

didnt charge my card for the full amount. no harm no foul, but would have been nice to know...

got the same one. it's useful for making married stars, where you need to press twice anyways. just my 2 cents. also if you're unhappy and want to sell, id be happy to take it off your hands ;)

I had one from the same vendor for a while, it was given me. I was never really able to make it work well, even lining up the cuts on the two plates it would stick together after making the stars. Then I had to spend about ten minutes trying to get the two things apart again. It was faster for me to simply pump them one at a time and I did a lot less swearing as well. unsure2.gif

I finally bought two plates from Ben Smith, Firesmith Tooling and really started making stars fast and easily. Sure, the two plates and spacer bar sets were a bit more expensive and I am on a very strict, tight budget. Buying quality tools the first time though is a LOT more cost conscious for the long run.

Here is my 3/8" plate and spacers...

http://warthog.novarata.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1736&g2_serialNumber=2

http://warthog.novarata.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1740&g2_serialNumber=2

The plate underneath it is a flat plate of aluminum that Ben made for me so I can make a nice flat end on the stars with my press... Here is my 5/8zÆ plate and spacers, this one is a "Second" since it has one less row of holes and pins. I got it for less because of this but it still makes nice stars and all it means is it takes me a few minutes longer to make them with one less row.

http://warthog.novarata.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1744&g2_serialNumber=2

http://warthog.novarata.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1748&g2_serialNumber=2

I have tools from Rich Wolter as well. Both make a great tool for pyro use and I am most satisfied with both company's work for sure. I have some "cheap" star pumps but those are hard to screw up. They aren't as versatile in that they will only make "square" stars (same length as diameter) but they are fine for my purposes. Comet pumps are a different thing though, so are specialty pumps like crossette and cavity pumps. For those sorts of things I again go to either Firesmith or Wolter.

Edited by warthog

got the same one. it's useful for making married stars, where you need to press twice anyways. just my 2 cents. also if you're unhappy and want to sell, id be happy to take it off your hands ;)

Most married stars are pressed and dried separately, and subsequently fused together. You'll need to paste the sides anyway to control the burn rate. There are no issues of compositions drying at different rates either.

For what it's worth when I used one of those plates I had to fill it 3 times I think. Thats how the plates are designed. You can get the same style of plate if you want from any of the other tool makers. The "deep fill" plates as I like to call it are designed to be filled with granulated comp and compressed just once. They're faster to use, but a thinner plate makes for cheaper materials and less work.

Peret, these plates are commonly used in china, many factories work with them. The difference is that they probably don't make stars with them but pills for in cakes and such (even in shells). Like with rocket(s tools) you can adapt your composition instead of the tools.

• 10 months later...
I got mine the other day, i had already ordered it form Harry when this came up. It is 5/8". The instructions say fill it up hammer it down till the pins don't go but an 1/8" inch in the hole, that makes a 1/2" star. I agree all the pins are not exactly the same but i can easily fix that.

The "deep fill" plates as I like to call it are designed to be filled with granulated comp and compressed just once. They're faster to use, but a thinner plate makes for cheaper materials and less work.

The time saved itself is worth the price of the deep fill plates, anything else is a waste of money IMHO. Mum, you have a pic you can share?

-dag