APC Forum

Finned rockets

THEONE

Guys has anybody any idea or something that you can attached the rocket fins as straight and aligned as possible into the rocket body ?

I Have tried some finned rockets but they does not go perfectly straight and surely the CG is much more lower than the CP into the rocket body...

Edited by THEONE

Yes, use a flat piece of wood or plastic 1/2 the thickness of your rocket body and lay the fin on the block then glue the fin to the body and let dry. I can glue three fins to a rocket body using this method but not four.

-dag

Not being a "finned rocket" kinda guy I have never done this but......... We use a real simple jig to attach feathers to arrows. Should be easy to fab up something similiar. Like dag said for the first fin use a rest then fab it out to accomadate the fins already on.

Not being a "finned rocket" kinda guy I have never done this but......... We use a real simple jig to attach feathers to arrows. Should be easy to fab up something similiar. Like dag said for the first fin use a rest then fab it out to accomadate the fins already on.

Can you explain to me a little bit more and with less complicated worlds cause my English are not perfect my friend :rolleyes:

I was looking for fletching tools (thanks Al) online and ran into a homemade jig, cant post the pic here at work but it looked to be a section of aluminum angle with a bracket holding a...

Ready for this?

A chip clip! Cool huh? I am SO making one tonight!!!!!!

-dag

Yes, use a flat piece of wood or plastic 1/2 the thickness of your rocket body and lay the fin on the block then glue the fin to the body and let dry. I can glue three fins to a rocket body using this method but not four.

-dag

I will try once with this way and i will post photos and videos...

Google "rocket fin alignment jig". Hit the images search button for lots of pictures. There are lots of do it yourself jigs as well as several made by the model rocket companies like Estes.

Google "rocket fin alignment jig". Hit the images search button for lots of pictures. There are lots of do it yourself jigs as well as several made by the model rocket companies like Estes.

Nice catch! It was really that simple ;)

-dag

I like this one too...

-dag

You will buy it or you will build it ? i think it is only for only specific one rocket body... not for plenty others

It looks very interesting the idea you told before dagabu (No #2 post)... you use this way with your finned rockets ?

Edited by THEONE

You will buy it or you will build it ? i think it is only for only specific one rocket body... not for plenty others

It looks very interesting the idea you told before dagabu (No #2 post)... you use this way with your finned rockets ?

No, I dont use this way but I will be buying one. It opens up to allow for just about any tube size. It also will use three or four fins. It looks very versatile to me.

-dag

No, I dont use this way but I will be buying one. It opens up to allow for just about any tube size. It also will use three or four fins. It looks very versatile to me.

-dag

And all this time how you attached fins like this one dagabu ?

About $16.00 US. Its an ETSES tool found at hobby stores.

-dag

http://www.amazon.com/Estes-302231-Fin-Alingment-Guide/dp/B004LGXCLI/ref=wl_mb_hu_m_22_dp

$14.73 from Amazon and if you have other things to get there and get the order over $25, shipping is free (standard shipping that is and it does take a week or more to get there but I have far more time than money)

Has anyone here made a 4 oz finned rocket? That sounds like it would be funny to try.

I make them all the time. Here is one example of a MNO2 rocket test. No header on this one since it was shot in the back yard.

http://youtu.be/zfcXzhM3JUA

I make BP end burners in the 4oz size. They are great with just 3 small fins. I must add though that my 4oz rockets are not the standard 5" in length.

I use the same tubes cut to 3.5" long for both the girandola motors and the what I call 4oz "mini missiles". A 1" (7/8 etc...) shell on top works good for a top instead of a nose cone.

Recently I sent out a fin marking jig to a member here on the forum. This jig has locations for 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" and 1" both thick wall and thin wall NEPT tubes. It allows you to mark

either 3 or 4 fin locations, spaced evely. As a guide to installing the fins I also have "ring jigs" that slip on the tube from above and position the tip of the fin where it meets the tube body. This will get you as close as you need.

I learned to be careful with the glue or otherwise the ring jig gets permanently attached and goes up with the rocket.

DanB

@Vintage Racer:

can you give a few more details about those MnO2 Motors?

Caliber, Exact formula, Core dimensions?

This might be an interesting thing for people who have difficulties in getting proper oxidizers.

I make them all the time. Here is one example of a MNO2 rocket test. No header on this one since it was shot in the back yard.

http://youtu.be/zfcXzhM3JUA

I make BP end burners in the 4oz size. They are great with just 3 small fins. I must add though that my 4oz rockets are not the standard 5" in length.

I use the same tubes cut to 3.5" long for both the girandola motors and the what I call 4oz "mini missiles". A 1" (7/8 etc...) shell on top works good for a top instead of a nose cone.

Recently I sent out a fin marking jig to a member here on the forum. This jig has locations for 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" and 1" both thick wall and thin wall NEPT tubes. It allows you to mark

either 3 or 4 fin locations, spaced evely. As a guide to installing the fins I also have "ring jigs" that slip on the tube from above and position the tip of the fin where it meets the tube body. This will get you as close as you need.

I learned to be careful with the glue or otherwise the ring jig gets permanently attached and goes up with the rocket.

DanB

Thanks, Dan. That is really cool. And I'd like to hear about the MNO2 as well.

As far as the fin shapes and sizes go, am I going to need to educate myself on amateur rocket construction to be successful? Or can I just slap some wings on that baby and see how it goes. Ha ha.

Don't fins make it a missile? I realize this is only semantics but I was under this impression. For instance, when you go to a retail store all of the motors with sticks on them are labeled rockets and those with fins all say missile. Is this an actual naming convention or just something the firework makers dreamed up?

I am just barely starting on rockets in pyro but I made and flew a ton of model rockets for many a year before I decided to quit and sell off all my equipment to pay for the next hobby.

Note that this is purely my opinion, but I feel naming them missiles is a marketing term and nothing else. In my mind, anything that is stabilized by a stick, spin, or fins and is designed to product an aerial effect and not be reused is a fireworks rocket. If it has some type of recovery system and is intended to be launched again, it is a model or sport rocket.