APC Forum

Shimizu's Golden Wave

Megabusa

Hi All,

I have posted this question on UKPS as well - Thought I might as well ask a wider audience :)

Has anyone used either Shimizu's Golden Wave or Alan Yates' variation of it (Nitrate Golden Falls) as fountain comp ???

Question is - Can it be choked or is it too vigorous & will the fountain go bang ?

I am making some fountains for the weekend, as a contrast to the 72 shells I have :D and I am wondering whether to choke this particular one or leave it unchoked.

All my fountains are 25mm ID with a 12mm choke (if used) & are 250mm long.

Any experiences ??

Cheers,

Phil.

seeing it burn in the open as powder and stars i would be cautious with a nozzle of any size but i may well be wrong.

i would love to see some feedback myself just looking for some fountain ideas now.

question for the rammers:- can some metals be rammed, reason i ask is because ive seen ti delay in rockets that i know have been rammed,

also tourbillions,

is the risk not only with the metals sparking but also the increased sensitivity of the comp with metal added, not all metals spark when in contact under force with itself so if wooden tools were used is there still a significant risk, obviously nothing containing iron but what about mgal, ti sponge, ti turnings/flakes, atomised al, or glitter comps?

dan.

I use Ali tools now - I used to use wood.

I ram comps with all types of Al just like I would a rocket for example.

If Ti or Fe are in the comp, I still ram but with much softer thumps & more of them to consolidate.

I think you will be able to choke it, assuming you use similar Al to Alan (80-325 mesh granular). I'd say a 12mm choke should be fine, but a quick test will tell for sure.

I often ram black powder type mixes with metals, but I'll hesitate to recommend it. I'm quite happy with Aluminium, especially atomised, but with Ti, MgAl and Fe I like to keep the metal content fairly low. I've seen 8% and under cited as having significantly less sensitivity.

So, while a mix with 25% Fe or Ti could look truly spectacular, I suggest it be one for the press.

Edited by Seymour

is the risk not only with the metals sparking but also the increased sensitivity of the comp with metal added, not all metals spark when in contact under force with itself so if wooden tools were used is there still a significant risk, obviously nothing containing iron but what about mgal, ti sponge, ti turnings/flakes, atomised al, or glitter comps?

dan.

i was under the impression that you did NOT want to ram around the spindle with metal for the friction not only while being rammed but also when pulling the spindle. I am sure someone else will have something to say regarding this.

i was under the impression that you did NOT want to ram around the spindle with metal for the friction not only while being rammed but also when pulling the spindle. I am sure someone else will have something to say regarding this.

im looking at fountains for now, i would imagine that the pinching on the spindle would be a problem but if i ever add anything to rockets it will be above the spindle and only in the delay

i will not attempt anything until i am sure of the risk being as low as can be.

dan.