APC Forum

Pumkin cannon questions

oriansbelt

Its getting close to halloween now and I was thinking about making a small

(well, as small as possible) pumkin cannon. I've built a potato cannon that works very well but I wanted to upgrade for the season. I was thinking of using a 9ft. long 8in. diameter steal pipe for the barral and combustiion chamber, my questions are: could I just wield a cap on the end or do I need to reinforce it, how far should I but th a e pumkin down the barral to have a large enough chamber, and would BP work as a propellent(or would it shread the pumkin)? I was kinda looking for other people who had experiance in the field, thanks.

I don't plan to move it very much, but me and my brother can lift it and move it around so that's not too big of a problem.

P.S. I live in the counrty so I can just fire it from where I keep it.

Ozzy nice helpful post! :rolleyes: If using BP unless you have a very big ball mill then you should use commercial or pneumatic/combustion. When using a heavy projectile and PVc pipe, it can shatter and cause shrapnell so be carfull, expesically when using commercial BP. If you can getyour hands on some HDPE piping. I would reccomend for some HDPE pipe and using

pnuematic/combustion.

Pumpkins are very irregularly shaped and heavy. Plus they arn't nice and lubed up like potatos. The only way i could see making it fit in the barrel would involve some custom made sobot to hold it. As for the barrel and propellant, well... Metal can be pretty dangerous. I can sorta picture the tube as just a big mortor, but to fire a small pumpkin you would need a good ammount of BP for lift, and it would need to be big chunks, definatly cannon grade if you were using sporting grade powder. However, i think that making it pneumatic would be cooler, but thats a hell of alot of air to move too, so...

Either way don't be anywhere near it when you fire it.

I'll use wodding around the pumkins.. ya, don't think BP will be very efficient for this perpose.... I guess I'll go with a pneumatic cannon, I luckily have an old 150 gallon air/water tank to use so thats good. thaxs so far but now I need to know about pneumatic cannons though..... <_<

• 11 months later...
My friend works for a compressed air company, and they made the record wining pumpkin gun. It over shot the range and hit a car on a road way past the range.