APC Forum

Red Flash

cplmac

Why are you so stuborn? 

Everybody here agrees on using:

1 Sr(NO3)2

1 Mg

0,1 Parlon

You keep adding perchlorate, leave it out!

And Perchlorate is for me more expensive then all those 3 other chems combined so..

I DID try it. It was the third comp I tried. It was pinkish but did not do red. I thought I posted about it already towards the beginning of the thread.

I have not tried it without the Parlon though mumbles, I will give that a shot tomorrow night when I make the batch with Pot. Chlorate.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cplmac

• Mardec

• ir-russu

• fizeau

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ow I didn't know that :)

Hm then the only fact is that you where to close.. That stuff will normally burn RED.

Watch out with KClO3 + Mg.. Not that I have to tell you that but ^_^

I think part of the problem is the particulate size of the Stront. Nit. . I have powdered it pretty well with a mortar and pestle type deal, but not real fine, just no lumps. I'm off to make those two batches, I'll post the results tonight.

Internet has been down all night or I would have had this up hours ago. I tried 3 different comps.

10 Stront. Nit

10 Mag

1 Parlon

10 Stront. Nit

10 Mag

1 PVC

10 Stront. Nit

10 Mag

10 Pot. Chlorate

This was a very good test, showed a lot. The Parlon mix was a nice red, pretty weak.but a nice red. Finally. The PVC banged pretty good, but was pretty much just flash. The Potassium Chlorate was not red at all but banged like a mother. Easily twice as loud as the PVC. I uploaded the video, should be approved in a couple of hours. The first is the Parlon, the second is the PVC and the last is the Chlorate. I used 3/8"X2" whistle insert tube, plugged with paper, no glue. So it was a loose fit which you will notice on the Parlon hit, it also shows how strong the Chlorate was. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I think I found the mix, the key is to really grind up the Strontium Nitrate. The 10,10,1 Parlon mix was the clear winner, just have to load it in some real strong tubes to get a decent bang out of it, but the red is pretty darn good.

Red Flash III, all three back to back

The first one was the most redish one.

I've just tried this comp:

KClO4 33

Sr(NO3)2 28

Al (dark pyro) 31

PVC 8

It was more orange than red.

The one thing I gathered with any degree of certainty from my multitude of failed tests is that the parlon works much better for the red flash.

Heee...it´s to late for my own composition. so I better use your

comp with KClO3, not the most redish, but good in my ears...

dont you think it is usefull to ad any PVC?

The PVC turned my red flash yellow. In hindsight that is not surprising. In my three test video a couple of posts up, the PVC was the second salute.

All three of those tests were done in 3/8" X2" tubes with paper plugs pushed in dry. I tested a 3/4"X2.5" tube with the plugs glued in the way I normally make them. The color went to yellow. I asked a friend of mine who has years and years of experience making pyro what his thoughts were on this problem(the problem being that in smaller quantities lightly confined it burned a nice red, when confined in medium quantity it burned yellow). He guessed that it may be burning to hot when confined. In the end we agreed that I would try to cool the mix down with baking soda and see if it retains it's color in the larger more confined salute. I will post the results when available.

The PVC turned my red flash yellow. In hindsight that is not surprising. In my three test video a couple of posts up, the PVC was the second salute.

All three of those tests were done in 3/8" X2" tubes with paper plugs pushed in dry. I tested a 3/4"X2.5" tube with the plugs glued in the way I normally make them. The color went to yellow. I asked a friend of mine who has years and years of experience making pyro what his thoughts were on this problem(the problem being that in smaller quantities lightly confined it burned a nice red, when confined in medium quantity it burned yellow). He guessed that it may be burning to hot when confined. In the end we agreed that I would try to cool the mix down with baking soda and see if it retains it's color in the larger more confined salute. I will post the results when available.

Baking Soda is going to give you a strong sodium line and a yellow or golden color flash.The idea of cooling it down is interesting tho. I wonder if a small amount of strontium carbonate would cool it while not taking away from the red ?

I don't know, good point on the sodium bicarbonate though. I'm not sure if I have any strontium carbonate, I think it is one of the items I never received from Firefox.

Here is the video of the medium quantity well confined that blew yellow. In a smaller container lightly confined it burned a nice red. It is the same mix as the first salute in the video with three salutes.

red flash gone yellow

• 2 weeks later...

hi

yea, nice (Aerial)Salute.

how much gramms of FP was in the salute???

BTW: I love your videos!!!

polumna

Thanks for the nice comments. I´m flattered. But I don´t think I

will work with this comp furthermore just to improve the colour, KClO isnt exactly my favorite. Btw, live with flash and you will die by

flash. But it truely was an interesting theme and I had a lot of fun with it.

As by-products I found a usable delay comp and stars unsensitive to pressure.

fizeau, I copied a comment I got from JamesH in my green star comp thread

That composition has the potential for spontaneous combustion. Any combination of a nitrate, metal and a chlorate is very unsafe, especially in a damp state. Basically, this is because the metal will partially decompose the nitrate, releasing ammonia gas. The ammonia has the potential to react with the chlorate compound to give ammonium chlorate, which is a very unstable explosive compound.

There are two articles in The best of AFN II on this subject, one titled 'DEATHMIX' and the other 'POTENTIAL DEATHMIXES'. These can be found on pages 175-177.

The composition would be far safer if you substituted perchlorate for the chlorate.

Please everyone take heed of the warnings, I don't want to see anyone getting hurt as a result of mixing such a composition.

Stay safe,

James

Thanks man, that was helpful. Now, I never did before a comp, where I used

nitrates and chlorates at once, but I really had to try cplmacs comp! For the

time being I´ll put a stop to flash comps, I don´t want to strain

my luck. But another thing you posted pulled my interest: The best of AFN II.

Where can I find that? Is it available in the net? Sorry for my ignorance, I

never heard before of that articles. I would be grateful for the link.

Thanks in advance. fizz

Here is the best of AFN II. There probably is cheaper sources, but this comes to mind first. I think theres also one on eBay too. So if anybody knows of a cheaper source, please let us know.

thx styropyro, I can´t write a good reply because my translator is sleeping...I will looking for this books!

• 2 weeks later...
In malta colured flash is used in colured beraq, many different compostions are used in every different factory around malta even with sulfer and chlorate so its very dangerouse ....last year my two friends made the red beraq (red flash) but its too dangerouse, but a few months ago some one told me this red flash comp :

Strontium nitrate 1

Magnesium 1

PVC 0.1

for next year i will make some of this for the feast.......

Take care guys B) .....

Ir russu

What was the comp your two friends used to make the red flash? If you would like you can PM it to me. I would be grateful, thanks.

• 7 months later...

New red flash comp folks, the best one yet by far from me.

Strontium Nitrate.........30

Strontium Carbonate.....20

Magnesium 250 mesh...35

Parlon........................15

This stuff pops the brightest red flash I've seen yet in a flash bag. Haven't tried confining it, but I will later. I'm sure like all colored flash it will lose color with confinement.

New red flash comp folks, the best one yet by far from me.

Strontium Nitrate.........30

Strontium Carbonate.....20

Magnesium 250 mesh...35

Parlon........................15

This stuff pops the brightest red flash I've seen yet in a flash bag. Haven't tried confining it, but I will later. I'm sure like all colored flash it will lose color with confinement.

Are you sure? :s

That sounds like a really overfueled / choked flash to me, but then I have seen strangers compositions..

I'll put a video of it up tomorrow night. Confined and unconfined.

I'm not sure what went wrong, but the red flash pot worked just right and the red report acted like a star. This makes no sense to me as both used the same formula from the same batch. At any rate, here are the videos. In the stills of the red flash once you get past the initial burst of the pot the next few frames of red are pretty intense. The red report was also a nice red, but no report at all, burned real slow actually.

Red Flash Pot

Red Report dud