57 replies to this topic

#21 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,796 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:42 AM

Honestly, I would be more worried about the whistle rocket CATOing and tossing casing fragments, than the flash going off. That is how loud and powerful those things are. From the group (not HPA) shoots I've been to, the open shooters are a safe distance away and usually behind a shield of some sort, so there isn't really an issue. 100g of flash going off at 2-3000 feet isn't as much as you'd think.
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#22 cplmac

cplmac

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Interests:Pyro
    Politics
    History

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:48 PM

The rocket line is a safe distance from everyone else as you would expect with a club shoot. And mumbles is right about those whistle rocket CATO's, they are just a step below flash and the CATO's can be massive. 100 grams of flash is a lot on the ground, but in the air it's basically a 4" salute. Anyways, to get back to the red rocket, It diisplayed a beautiful 42" tail, because that's as far off the ground as it ever got. The head went off without a hitch though. The red flash was more orange, but was nice and deep. There were probably about 50 homemade rockets fired off tonight and amazingly not one CATO, even the five rockets I made managed to expel gas at the intended speed. The red rocket is the only one that decided the view from the ground was to good to leave. Bottom line, back to the drawing board with the red flash. I think I'm gonna switch out the Perch for regular Pot. Chlorate.

#23 Mardec

Mardec

Pyromaniac

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:27 AM

Why are you so stuborn?
Everybody here agrees on using:

1 Sr(NO3)2
1 Mg
0,1 Parlon

You keep adding perchlorate, leave it out!
And Perchlorate is for me more expensive then all those 3 other chems combined so..
Girl, wanna see me firing my 12 inch ?

#24 ir-russu

ir-russu

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:08 PM

Why are you so stuborn?

1 Sr(NO3)2
1 Mg
0,1 Parlon

In malta colured flash is used in colured beraq, many different compostions are used in every different factory around malta even with sulfer and chlorate so its very dangerouse ....last year my two friends made the red beraq (red flash) but its too dangerouse, but a few months ago some one told me this red flash comp :

Strontium nitrate 1
Magnesium 1
PVC 0.1

Mardec that was my first suggestion but ....idont know if it is good ...any one tryed it ????

#25 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,796 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:14 PM

I've used just 1:1 Mg:Sr(NO3)2 and it works just fine. A nice pure red. You need to be a decent way away though, otherwise it gets washed out in your eyes. You can still see the tinges around the edges though.
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#26 cplmac

cplmac

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
    Politics
    History

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:57 PM

Why are you so stuborn? 

1 Sr(NO3)2
1 Mg
0,1 Parlon

You keep adding perchlorate, leave it out!
And Perchlorate is for me more expensive then all those 3 other chems combined so..

I DID try it. It was the third comp I tried. It was pinkish but did not do red. I thought I posted about it already towards the beginning of the thread.

I have not tried it without the Parlon though mumbles, I will give that a shot tomorrow night when I make the batch with Pot. Chlorate.

#27 Mardec

Mardec

Pyromaniac

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:22 AM

Ow I didn't know that :)

Hm then the only fact is that you where to close.. That stuff will normally burn RED.

Watch out with KClO3 + Mg.. Not that I have to tell you that but ^_^
Girl, wanna see me firing my 12 inch ?

#28 cplmac

cplmac

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
    Politics
    History

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:06 PM

I think part of the problem is the particulate size of the Stront. Nit. . I have powdered it pretty well with a mortar and pestle type deal, but not real fine, just no lumps. I'm off to make those two batches, I'll post the results tonight.

#29 cplmac

cplmac

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
    Politics
    History

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:49 PM

Internet has been down all night or I would have had this up hours ago. I tried 3 different comps.
10 Stront. Nit
10 Mag
1 Parlon

10 Stront. Nit
10 Mag
1 PVC

10 Stront. Nit
10 Mag
10 Pot. Chlorate

This was a very good test, showed a lot. The Parlon mix was a nice red, pretty weak.but a nice red. Finally. The PVC banged pretty good, but was pretty much just flash. The Potassium Chlorate was not red at all but banged like a mother. Easily twice as loud as the PVC. I uploaded the video, should be approved in a couple of hours. The first is the Parlon, the second is the PVC and the last is the Chlorate. I used 3/8"X2" whistle insert tube, plugged with paper, no glue. So it was a loose fit which you will notice on the Parlon hit, it also shows how strong the Chlorate was. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I think I found the mix, the key is to really grind up the Strontium Nitrate. The 10,10,1 Parlon mix was the clear winner, just have to load it in some real strong tubes to get a decent bang out of it, but the red is pretty darn good.

Red Flash III, all three back to back

#30 ir-russu

ir-russu

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:52 AM

the first one for me is the most reddish ..but all of them are red...keep it up mate nice test !!!!!!! :D B)

#31 Silverturk

Silverturk

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:07 PM

The first one was the most redish one.
I've just tried this comp:

KClO4 33
Sr(NO3)2 28
Al (dark pyro) 31
PVC 8

It was more orange than red.

#32 cplmac

cplmac

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
    Politics
    History

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:04 PM

The one thing I gathered with any degree of certainty from my multitude of failed tests is that the parlon works much better for the red flash.

#33 fizeau

fizeau

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:pyro experiments

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:21 AM

Heee...itīs to late for my own composition. so I better use your
comp with KClO3, not the most redish, but good in my ears...
dont you think it is usefull to ad any PVC?

#34 cplmac

cplmac

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
    Politics
    History

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:51 PM

The PVC turned my red flash yellow. In hindsight that is not surprising. In my three test video a couple of posts up, the PVC was the second salute.

All three of those tests were done in 3/8" X2" tubes with paper plugs pushed in dry. I tested a 3/4"X2.5" tube with the plugs glued in the way I normally make them. The color went to yellow. I asked a friend of mine who has years and years of experience making pyro what his thoughts were on this problem(the problem being that in smaller quantities lightly confined it burned a nice red, when confined in medium quantity it burned yellow). He guessed that it may be burning to hot when confined. In the end we agreed that I would try to cool the mix down with baking soda and see if it retains it's color in the larger more confined salute. I will post the results when available.

#35 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:09 AM

The PVC turned my red flash yellow. In hindsight that is not surprising. In my three test video a couple of posts up, the PVC was the second salute.

All three of those tests were done in 3/8" X2" tubes with paper plugs pushed in dry. I tested a 3/4"X2.5" tube with the plugs glued in the way I normally make them. The color went to yellow. I asked a friend of mine who has years and years of experience making pyro what his thoughts were on this problem(the problem being that in smaller quantities lightly confined it burned a nice red, when confined in medium quantity it burned yellow). He guessed that it may be burning to hot when confined. In the end we agreed that I would try to cool the mix down with baking soda and see if it retains it's color in the larger more confined salute. I will post the results when available.

Baking Soda is going to give you a strong sodium line and a yellow or golden color flash.The idea of cooling it down is interesting tho. I wonder if a small amount of strontium carbonate would cool it while not taking away from the red ?
" I'm gonna say we've reached the limitations of that rocket's thrust " - Cplmac

#36 cplmac

cplmac

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
    Politics
    History

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:06 PM

I don't know, good point on the sodium bicarbonate though. I'm not sure if I have any strontium carbonate, I think it is one of the items I never received from Firefox.
Here is the video of the medium quantity well confined that blew yellow. In a smaller container lightly confined it burned a nice red. It is the same mix as the first salute in the video with three salutes.

red flash gone yellow

#37 fizeau

fizeau

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:05 AM

My comp KClO3 / Sr(NO3)2 / Mg with 5% Strontiumcarbonate wasnīt that red, too. Plus the You
tube conversion takes much of the real colours away. At least the stars in the salute catched fire and showed a nice effect.
Here is the video:

#38 ir-russu

ir-russu

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:37 PM

If you watch it in a slow version you see the redish flash !!! nice job...!work with new comp to make it more red..! :D

#39 Polumna

Polumna

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:go fishing, aikido(fight-sport) and of couse PYRO!!!!!

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:28 AM

hi

yea, nice (Aerial)Salute.

how much gramms of FP was in the salute???

BTW: I love your videos!!!

polumna

#40 fizeau

fizeau

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for the nice comments. Iīm flattered. But I donīt think I
will work with this comp furthermore just to improve the colour, KClO isnt exactly my favorite. Btw, live with flash and you will die by
flash. But it truely was an interesting theme and I had a lot of fun with it.
As by-products I found a usable delay comp and stars unsensitive to pressure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users