APC Forum

Help with MgAl milling

50AE

I have trouble ball milling MgAl when it's in the state 3 to 5mm fragments. These are painfully slow to mill with my 16mm ceramic media in the 160mm drum.

I'm asking what can I do to mill them. Using a blender is not an option.

What if I change the media to something heavy. I can buy 22mm or even larger steel bars and cut them into sections. Will the heavier steel media help? I can also make a lift bar to make the heavy steel drop, just like a corning machine.

I have never milled MgAl myself, but I know those who have, and heavier media will help, but it will take quite a few hours anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, been a while.

whew, that scares me thinking about it. I did mill a few small batches a while back using ceramic media until the first time it self-combusted and blew the jar lid off. I don't know how hot the fire was, it was outside in a safe place when it happened, but the white residue all over the mill and jar looked nasty hot. No more milling MgAl for me, I'll buy the finer star comp grades and just crush and blender the rougher grades 100 mesh and bigger as needed. A blender is dangerous enough.

Opening the jar after milling is scary, careful...

Sverve, can you give more details about the situation?

1. Was the jar optimally loaded? Stuff like this has happened when a jar was very underloaded. Not personal experience, but a friendly pyro has done this with Mg powder from curiosity. He paid his curiosity with a new drum.

1.1 I suspect coarse MgAl has been put and then milled for a long time to a fine state. The finer stuff takes less volume than the big particles, so the volume diminishes.

2. How long have you been milling it?

3. What was your jar diameter?

4. Was your mill running at a optimal speed?

Edited by 50AE

Woops, I just re-read the op and said he was looking for larger mesh MgAl, not fine mesh.

Anyhow, since you asked 50AE,

1. I suspect coarse MgAl has been put and then milled for a long time to a fine state. The finer stuff takes less volume than the big particles, so the volume diminishes.

-Yes, and yes

2. How long have you been milling it?

-A few hours

3. What was your jar diameter?

-that mill is a hobby mill, 4 inches/ 100mm rubber barrel

4. Was your mill running at a optimal speed?

-Yes ~90 rpm

fwiw, ttl

So the larger pieces take up more volume than the finer powder? I would have assumed the opposite. That breaking it up into more pieces with air space around each, would increase volume.

Is MgAl as pyrophoric as aluminum? I think I would take the lid off for a second a couple times a day regardless.

Did you melt your own MgAl? I have a forge and have thought about trying it. I would need a crucible with a lid and I have heard of using sulfur as a flux to keep things from flaring up when the lid is removed or if using no lid and a reducing atmosphere in the forge.

Sorry for the tangent.

Did you melt your own MgAl? I have a forge and have thought about trying it. I would need a crucible with a lid and I have heard of using sulfur as a flux to keep things from flaring up when the lid is removed or if using no lid and a reducing atmosphere in the forge.

Thread on DIY mg/al & water quenching

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/6326-water-quenching-diy-mgal/page__p__81247__fromsearch__1#entry81247

With a heavy duty SS blender run remotely, with a timer, you can reduce mg/al very quickly.

gallery_10713_78_283519.jpg

gallery_10713_78_228944.jpg

gallery_10713_78_10510.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I make my own, I know what you mean when you get to that difficult stage where the mill is going for ages but you dont get much powder. I wrap mine in a material (cotton) sheet and whack the hell out of it with a big hammer, you get plenty of cotton contaminating the mg/al but when you screen it you catch pretty much all of it on the first screen.

the bigger in diameter the rods are the more hiding space the material has and takes longer to mill.

hammer or recycle it.

dan.