APC Forum

Whisle Rockets

Algenco

I started playing with 1lb Whisles a few weeks ago.

I've tried NaBenz and NaSal, the Benz sounds better, but the Sal puts them out of sight!!

I like Saly :)

still waiting on the cookies

Edited by Algenco

2 tests this evening, New batch of NaSal, 1 using Extreme whistle spindle, the other a "Pusher"

If my "Videographer" can keep up I'll post later

Need a new camera operator :)

Need more delay, both were still climbing at a high rate of speed

Pusher

Extreme

Those rockets don't waste their time getting airborne.

the benz is easier to press than the sali (at least for me) the sali is sticky. now its time to put some shells on those. Ive been making stars and comets for the past week.

Steve

Those were awesome! And as stated don't wait around for camera. Get some good info on what they will tote and let us know.

I put a 2.5 on a sali 4oz rocket and I think it will take a 4 incher once I get some stars dry im gonna give it a try.

Steve

I have no doubt they will put a 4" to a respectable height Edited by Algenco

No doubt, we had a good dozen larger shells powered off 1# whistle rockets last night, the biggest of which was not shot since we got cut off early.

-dag

How big /much can a 1# sali lift??? If a 4oz can do a 4 incher should do a 6 for sure!

steve

I am not sure that Al said that a 4oz could lift a 4" canister shell, I think he was talking about 1# rockets. You will have to test it yourself (too many variables in ones fuel) but I see no issues with a 1# sali rocket lifting 1000g to 300' and with the proper delay, breaking at apogee.

-dag

Yes, I'm only referring to the 1lb rockets I'm playing with.

I plan on trying one with a 6" ball once I'm through testing fuels.

For now I'm content with watching them go out of sight, no header, only 5g Vit F, it takes 3 seconds from the time I see the flash until I hear the report (very faint)

At roughly 331 meters per sec that puts them at over 990 m or 1/2 mile!!!

Edited by Algenco

Yes, I'm only referring to the 1lb rockets I'm playing with.

I plan on trying one with a 6" ball once I'm through testing fuels.

For now I'm content with watching them go out of sight, no header, only 5g Vit F, it takes 3 seconds from the time I see the flash until I hear the report (very faint)

At roughly 331 meters per sec that puts them at over 990 m or 1/2 mile!!!

Nice Al! Whistle is some fun stuff indeed! Just for reference on lifting..... I did a test with a 3/4" ID x 4" long motor made on something similar to a stinger spindle. The header was a 4" inert ball shell, with lead and rice. The weight was 30g under 1 full pound or 424g. It lifted fine and I was totally surprised. This of course is nothing like the standard 1lb class motor.

Add a little delay like C6 or C8.... maybe some D1, Ralph's, or YOUR favorite glitter for a delay tail. Heck you know what you're doing so I'll shaddup.

:whistle:

DanB

(p.s. she lights, I film) just be sure to give her plenty of wick!

I would think that a 1lb whistle rocket would be approaching it's limits with a 6" ball shell. 5" should probably be doable. With a 6", I think it'd depend a lot more on what's inside of it. It's definitely not hard to make a 6" that approaches 1300 or 1400g.

I would think that a 1lb whistle rocket would be approaching it's limits with a 6" ball shell. 5" should probably be doable. With a 6", I think it'd depend a lot more on what's inside of it. It's definitely not hard to make a 6" that approaches 1300 or 1400g.

I have a dozen 6" halves that I want to fill for a rocket test, anybody have a particular star for me to roll? The 1# rockets we flew on Saturday were ripping off the rack with 700g shells. I see no reason why a 6" rice hull filled star shell wouldn't get to height on a 1# hot whistle rocket.

Testing will tell for sure...

-dag

Dave

How about some granite (spelling?) stars that would be about as heavy as you could get. There was a thread on passfire aobut 4 ozers with 4 inch shells. I think a 1#er shouldnt have any trouble with an "average" 6 inch shell. Im going to work on a couple 4 inchers for the 4oz sali whistle rockets, they put a 2.5 stuffed full of parlon stars too high for a good view.

Steve

Edited by moondogman

I suck at rockets, but I'd love to put a 6" on top of a whistle rocket, especially a "pusher". :blush:

I use the universal hybrid tooling, more thrust!!!

Dave

How about some granite (spelling?) stars that would be about as heavy as you could get. There was a thread on passfire aobut 4 ozers with 4 inch shells. I think a 1#er shouldnt have any trouble with an "average" 6 inch shell. Im going to work on a couple 4 inchers for the 4oz sali whistle rockets, they put a 2.5 stuffed full of parlon stars too high for a good view.

Steve

I would love to try a heavy shell on top of a 1#, I have heard that they can weight upwards of 14#!!!!

Well, here is a 1# whistle and fuse powder rocket with a small report heading...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDeb8pZN1OA

-dag

Edited by dagabu

true, I was thinking of loading the shell with 1/2" Firefly), the last one I made weighed 830g

• 5 months later...

Here is a video of a few whistle rockets from this weekend

Edited by Zmuro