APC Forum

Visco Firecracker Competition

psyco_1322

Just a little competition for the fun of it. Read the rules before outraging please. At the end of the competition, I will pick a winner, they will receive a prize. The prize will be a "Box O' Goodies" containing some random things like tubes, end disks, possible a few pounds of chems. If the entry is not valid with the rules, it is not eligible for the prize. For instance if you post a video that doesn't show the construction, then we get to figure you have something to hide and you are cheating =disqualified! This is supposed to be fun and encourage creativity and the use of your brain! The more people that enter, the better the prize will be in the end. I will award a prize for the best performing device and the most simple device. Have fun and feel free to ask questions.

Rules:

1. NO PYROTECHNIC COMPOSITION may be used in the device. I.E. Flash, Black Powder, Whistle, Black Match, Etc.
  2. The ONLY burnable material allowed is VISCO FUSE. There is no limit to the amount/length. Any type of Visco made be used, including Fast Visco and fuses such as Flying Fish and Falling Leaves.
  3. You may alter your fuse in any physical way. I.E. Twist, Bend, Cut/Dice, Bash it with a Hammer, Etc.
  4. Casings Must Be PAPER!!! Glue(s), tape(s), string and other building materials are permitted. There is no specification for device size.
  5. All entries must be video entries of the build and functioning of your firecracker.
  6. Entries must be in by November 21st, multiple entries are welcome.
  7. Post entries in the Visco Firecracker Competition thread in the Competitions section of Competitions. Here!

Edited by psyco_1322

Well there you are! Good to see you got this posted on the competition page ;)

Well, I have pictures but there is no way I can video with both hands free so if you dont like pictures.....

All ready to light, we will see if I can get video of it tonight.

-dag

Well there you are! Good to see you got this posted on the competition page ;)

Well, I have pictures but there is no way I can video with both hands free so if you dont like pictures.....

All ready to light, we will see if I can get video of it tonight.

-dag

Come on Dag, you ought to be able to at least find a box to hold your camera or another pyro friendly helper. Rule #5, I have to be fair to all.

Come on Dag, you ought to be able to at least find a box to hold your camera or another pyro friendly helper. Rule #5, I have to be fair to all.

I think pictures should be sufficent. Not everybody can video while they build, I know I can't. I think you should allow pictures, yes I know the can add something but still.

OK, here is the deal, it took three hours to dry the tube after I rolled it.... Rule 5 would mean that i would have to record four hours of video for this challenge?

I dont want to or need to win, I just want to play but there is no way I ma asking Thunderr1 to video it for four hours! tongue2.gif

-dag

Edited by dagabu

OK, here is the deal, it took three hours to dry the tube after I rolled it.... Rule 5 would mean that i would have to record four hours of video for this challenge?

I dont want to or need to win, I just want to play but there is no way I am asking Thunderr1 to video it for four hours! tongue2.gif

med_gallery_9798_102_6159.jpg

med_gallery_9798_102_45465.jpg

med_gallery_9798_102_4102.jpg

med_gallery_9798_102_21787.jpg

med_gallery_9798_102_28530.jpg

med_gallery_9798_102_33991.jpg

med_gallery_9798_102_8963.jpg

med_gallery_9798_102_64.jpg

med_gallery_9798_102_5763.jpg

-dag

Edited by dagabu

I see no mention of string. Is it allowed?

Dag why not just video while you roll the tube, show it's rolled up, then stop the video and resume videoing once the tube is dry? You could even add a page break saying "3 hours later" or similar if you want. I don't think psyco is wanting to split hairs here, just a video to show how the device was constructed. I find video to often be significantly more beneficial to learning a process than just photos. We have all seen tubes and fuse, but someone who has never rolled a tube on their own could gain much more insight into the process by watching it be done.

That is my take on it at least.

WB

Thanks for the pics dag, now I know what I am going to do :lol: ! I think time lapse would probably work on those three hours, ya know one frame ever 15 minutes or so. I think we can get the idea of "a tube drying", bout as much fun as watching grass grow :P . Would narration be appropriate? I think narration would be good or those sign board things. hmmmm gotta get to work!

String is allowed.

The tube does not have to be "homemade" and I don't need to see you make it. The thought is to keep people from letting that extra gram of flash accidentally fall into the tube between pictures. Not saying that you would cheat, Dag.

String is allowed.

The tube does not have to be "homemade" and I don't need to see you make it. The thought is to keep people from letting that extra gram of flash accidentally fall into the tube between pictures. Not saying that you would cheat, Dag.

Thanks for the clarification psycho but using a commercial tube would be really easy as far as I am concerned and with the use of string, this is going to be an easy competition for anyone. As far as adding flash, there are many ways to add a quarter gram in front of a movie camera with no problems.

-dag

Thanks for the clarification psyco but using a commercial tube would be really easy as far as I am concerned and with the use of string, this is going to be an easy competition for anyone. As far as adding flash, there are many ways to add a quarter gram in front of a movie camera with no problems.

-dag

Yes, we know, but this isn't a magic trick on film competition. String is no different that anything else, its not making it easier, it's broadening the methods people want to use. And stop making it sound like rolling a tube is difficult, been doing it since grade school.

And stop making it sound like rolling a tube is difficult, been doing it since grade school.

That's not really rolling a tube per se, anyway, cigarette papers don't really make good firecrackers... ;)

Oh, and I did NOT say it was difficult in any way, I said that filming rolling one is difficult when you don't have a boom to hold the camera.

Bastages! Here is your stinking video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO_ZYlMjO7s

-dag

Edited by dagabu

Not only that but i actually made a completed cracker and brought it to the fall shoot...

I did not get the chance to light it though.

-dag

LOL he gave into peer pressure!

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it

lmao

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I was videotaping using my cell phone and the video cut out after 20 seconds, so my entry probably doesn't count, but here it is anyways:

What you can't see in the video is that I chopped up all of the visco at a severe angle, into about 1/8" pieces. The tube was rolled wet and crimped down onto the fuse, then the back side was partially crimped, then filled with the chopped up pieces of visco and loose powder left from the chopping process, then crimped down the rest of the way. The end result looks like a giant manilla "tootsie roll".

Here's the video, we were up-wind of the cracker and there was 25mph winds with 35-40mph gusts, and because of the wind we decided to set the cracker on the ground instead of hanging it, for fear of embers getting blown in the wind to unknown places. So I'm sure it was not as good as it could have been in a different situation.

Visco donated by Busspuppy

WB

• 3 weeks later...
Not bad, looks like it went pretty good. I have to say the beats you got going in the background are dope, haha.

• 2 weeks later...