APC Forum

Timing elements for mascaleta ground string

boule

I'm pretty sure that most here know what a mascleta is. For the others - it is the spanish way to get your ears ringing by stringing a bunch of ground salutes on strings and putting up a ton of aerial salutes to match them.

http://www.uv.es/~pou/docencia/Piloto0304/mascleta2.JPG

Now, the Spaniards used traditionally firecrackers on a string "truenos" tied together with fuse to acieve that nice musical effect ... now, how the hell did they get the timing right?

Why I am asking? Well, I just want to know whether it is feasible to replicate at least the ground part without a ton of electrical igniters.

Edited by boule

You might want to work on linking to passfire. It's not as straight forward as copying and pasting.

I don't know how they do it now, but lots of ematch would make it easy. The video Dag posted seems a little too precise to me as far as cadence and combined effects, so that may be how it's done, at least partly. They used to be done by a series of quickmatch, buckets, and tying knots in the quickmatch with string. With good quality match, a single knot in the quickmatch will give you about 1/2 to 1 second delays.

The video I posted is a combination of timed elements and the quickmatch type mascleta, which is what we are making but with red and green flash. If it works, we will be using some interesting bursts in the future and maybe, I can whip up the e-matches to do a cadence next year.

-dag

The video I posted is a combination of timed elements and the quickmatch type mascleta, which is what we are making but with red and green flash. If it works, we will be using some interesting bursts in the future and maybe, I can whip up the e-matches to do a cadence next year.

-dag

well timed, it stopped just before there was too much smoke.

dan.

Boule, You'll need a lot of quickmatch and timefuse for this kind of display. They use monetti fuse the most as far as I know.

Don't use gypsum or other hard endplugs in your truenos, only thin spiral wound paper tubes.

post-4620-0-24826800-1318890633_thumb.jpg

post-4620-0-48191800-1318890722_thumb.jpg

Sweet!

We are lighting a little 30' string of them this Saturday to see if they look any good to us.

-dag

Will that be taking place at the NLP shoot?

The video I posted is a combination of timed elements and the quickmatch type mascleta, which is what we are making but with red and green flash.

That sounds quite intriguing. I was considering to do the same, just without the fancy colours and about 2-3 minutes length.

You'll need a lot of quickmatch and timefuse for this kind of display. They use monetti fuse the most as far as I know.

Thanks for the close up pictures! That delay with time fuse makes much more sense than knotting quickmatch or tying string around it.

Do you mean they use the pyro-clock system or premanufactured timing elements?

Don't use gypsum or other hard endplugs in your truenos

I'm not nuts and building shrapnel grenades!

Pyroclock is just Monetti time fuse inserted into plastic "buckets". It has a nice core, and behaves a lot more like manufactured spolette than what we consider "normal" time fuse here in the US. The tying string into knots around the quickmatch was really for the more rapid timings. Like I said, it gives about 1/2 to 1 second timings. It could be very expensive if you did all your timing with time fuse. It's a common technique to do with imported finale chains if you want more than just a 6 seconds of sky puke.

This is possibly more of a cannonade than a mascaletta, but it was impressive to witness none the less. It was somewhat unnerving seeing all of those lit spolettes swinging there and knowing what was coming. Clearly not a lot of complex timing going on here.

Will that be taking place at the NLP shoot?

Why yes, yes it will! Along with a machine gun line and several nice creamers. Will you be there? thunderr1 and I will...

Ours is tied for the delay, the whole thing should be done in about 10 seconds.

-dag

Edited by dagabu

Why yes, yes it will! Along with a machine gun line and several nice creamers. Will you be there? thunderr1 and I will...

Ours is tied for the delay, the whole thing should be done in about 10 seconds.

-dag

Yes I will be there provided it doesn't get cancelled again. I joined the club last month and this will be my first event.

Yes I will be there provided it doesn't get cancelled again. I joined the club last month and this will be my first event.

It will be good to meet you, look for the bald guy that looks like Col. Sanders ;)

Want to lend a hand setting up rockets and mascaleta? We should be there around 2:00.

-dag

• 5 weeks later...

Pyroclock is just Monetti time fuse inserted into plastic "buckets". It has a nice core, and behaves a lot more like manufactured spolette than what we consider "normal" time fuse here in the US. The tying string into knots around the quickmatch was really for the more rapid timings. Like I said, it gives about 1/2 to 1 second timings. It could be very expensive if you did all your timing with time fuse. It's a common technique to do with imported finale chains if you want more than just a 6 seconds of sky puke.

This is possibly more of a cannonade than a mascaletta, but it was impressive to witness none the less. It was somewhat unnerving seeing all of those lit spolettes swinging there and knowing what was coming. Clearly not a lot of complex timing going on here.

I was the lead on this salute show at Mentone this year. It was lots of fun shooting that by hand with 4 other guys, but he had several problems with the timing due to some poor planning on our part. The large string was made by the Mike B. and was very impressive. The use of sticky match on the first salute run gave us issues as it kept getting blown out by the force of the concussion. I wish I could get the timing remotely close to the Spanish version but the time and cost would be prohibitive.

I was the lead on this salute show at Mentone this year. It was lots of fun shooting that by hand with 4 other guys, but he had several problems with the timing due to some poor planning on our part. The large string was made by the Mike B. and was very impressive. The use of sticky match on the first salute run gave us issues as it kept getting blown out by the force of the concussion. I wish I could get the timing remotely close to the Spanish version but the time and cost would be prohibitive.

I tried to tell you, my little salute were hot!!!! :)

I tried to tell you, my little salute were hot!!!! :)

Al,

You were not kidding. They hit real nice. PM me on the construction if you would. I am pretty sure I know what you used but I want to be sure. Hope to see you at Mazon on Saturday!

Al,

You were not kidding. They hit real nice. PM me on the construction if you would. I am pretty sure I know what you used but I want to be sure. Hope to see you at Mazon on Saturday!

I'll be there