APC Forum

Can anyone recommend a prime please?

Mortartube

Metallic fire dust stars I

Shimizu Shimizu Shimizu Shimizu Shimizu Shimizu name Silver wave No.1 Silver wave No.2 Golden wave No.1 Golden wave No.2 Golden wave No.3 Golden

chrysanthemum Potassium perchlorate 50 35

Potassium nitrate

37 37 37 40 Antimony trisulfide

Realgar

10 Sulfur

9 10 Charcoal, air float

2 Aluminum, flake 50 65 47 47 47 30 Boric acid

1 1 1 1 Dextrin +5 +5 6 6 6 7 type pumped, cut, rolled pumped, cut, rolled pumped, cut, rolled pumped, cut, rolled pumped, cut, rolled pumped, cut, rolled solvent 35% alcohol 35% alcohol 35% alcohol 35% alcohol 35% alcohol 35% alcohol

Hi, Can anybody please recommend a prime to light Shimizu Golden Wave No 2? I have no silicon. I do have Mg/Al, Al and Titanium sponge that might make good heat conductors. Also have Pot Perc as probably the best oxidiser to use.

I have tried Sponeburghs Pinball prime. It will occasionally light these stars on the ground, but the prime usually burns off and the star glows a bit and then starts burning. Fired from a star gun, I can see the prime burn off as the star fires up and then it blows blind.

The only other possibility is that the stars have become driven in from priming. I used dextrin in the prime instead of red gum (which was mentioned as an acceptable swap in the priming formula).

• 3 months later...
Silicon is useful because it forms a hot (molten sand!) slag that stays put when burned, so the heat from the cooling slag goes into the intended ignition process of the star rather than off into the atmosphere.

How about mixing some German dark aluminum 400 mesh in with some meal an using that as prime

I just made some white stars (58 kno3, 40 aluminum, and 2 dextrin). I primed them with meal and aluminum and will test them Saturday night in shells. (this was my first time doing this with these stars with this type of prime)

I have used this formula for white stars before and made tiger tail to white stars and all the whites ignited after the tiger tail burned. So it might be possible to prime them with a little bit of Tiger tail

I also have primed this white with just meal and had some ignite and others not.

Here is a vid

Please ignore the yelling

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=/watch?v=XfUPDGBLVSk&context=C36b9bbeADOEgsToPDskLShbzomOHIjNmFI_0JP-WS&context=C36b9bbeADOEgsToPDskLShbzomOHIjNmFI_0JP-WS&v=XfUPDGBLVSk&gl=US&bmb=1

The first couple shells with white ignited (2 inch) but the three inch shell didn't ignite at all. It is the shell after the three inch tiger tail. (the only good shell)

Edited by Tanner808