APC Forum

Coated rice hulls act as inner petal

50AE

I don't complain but on the contrary, I find this effect cool. My rice hulls burst acts like an inner petal, they emit slight orange glows which hang for some time.

I suspect it could be the high black powder to hulls ratio (8,5:1) and the method. I'm used to make my hulls by hand in a very large bowl. I spray water, roll with hands, add BP then water and so on. The hulls itself maybe soak in some KNO3 and are burning slowly in the air.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Edited by 50AE

I don't complain but on the contrary, I find this effect cool. My rice hulls burst acts like an inner petal, they emit slight orange glows which hang for some time.

I suspect it could be the high black powder to hulls ratio (8,5:1) and the method. I'm used to make my hulls by hand in a very large bowl. I spray water, roll with hands, add BP then water and so on. The hulls itself maybe soak in some KNO3 and are burning slowly in the air.

Yes 50AE I have the same effect, problem. Myself I would like to eliminate it if I can.

You can see it in this small photo of one of my shell I shot.

BJV

post-10172-0-69507200-1318426268_thumb.png

yeah some shells its a compliment others not,if using high charcoal stars it looks good or reds and even yellows but blues purples greens i think not just preference i suppose.I use 4 to one get same results although maybe not as intense as yours! All

Makes me want to mix in some magnalium with the BP for my next batch. If its an inner petal, lets make it one!

-dag

I like mixing crumbs and stuff from glitter stars in with the burst of my shells if I have extra. There's no tail or anything, and as far as I can tell it's mostly consumed in the burst itself. It does leave a nice twinkling in the center, which I find particularly appealing in charcoal streamer shells. I had a bunch of Win39 glitter that I made into crossettes that came out too soft. I broke these up and had been slowly adding them to my bursts over the last few years. I've heard of people doing the same sort of thing with granular Titanium. I would unfortunately bet that adding fine metals, or more reactive metals like MgAl or Al instead would just result in a brighter flash at the break. That is something I particularly find distracting. Perhaps coarse MgAl or coarse flake Al might do the trick.

Kind of related to that last thing, but you can actually just dust BP coated hulls or other media with dark Al, and it will boost the break on it's own.

ive experienced this even with 50/50 bp/seed i suspect the media soaked up some kno3 like you say and it makes it catch light,

to combat this i soak the seed in straight water [near boiling] for about half hour drain it well and apply the bp bit by bit until it stops sticking maybe 2/1 at most.

dan.