APC Forum

How to Replicate 'Ground Smashers'

NightHawkInLight

The jumping cracker thread reminded me of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3QoyOCS5lI&feature=channel_video_title

They sure look fun. They also look like they contain some pretty fierce comps, both in the friction sensitive igniter as well as the crackling microstars (if that's what they are), assuming the two are separate. How do you suppose they're made? Any ideas on what the microstar comp might be? It's obviously very loud, and pretty long burning as well for being so vigorous. It would look and sound really cool in a matrix comet.

WTF was that?!? I have never seen anything like that. Where did you get it?0

WTF was that?!? I have never seen anything like that. Where did you get it?0

Pyro Direct carries them at a pretty reasonable price. I'm yet to see one in person. I might have to order a few sometime to dissect.

Pyro Direct carries them at a pretty reasonable price. I'm yet to see one in person. I might have to order a few sometime to dissect.

i agree, i have seen them but figured they were just poppers.

if someone gets inside before i do, please post your findings.

I think they are probably son of a guns as mentioned in Weingart. Look on page 196 of this PDF for comp etc

.http://www.freeinfosociety.com/media/pdf/4649.pdf

For those with actual copies of the book, it's on page 181-182. From what I gathered, the Weingart texts have expired in copyright, otherwise I would have removed that link.

Those do sound very similar, but I highly doubt they're made in the same way (ie white phosphorus). Using finely powdered red phosphorus in it's place may do the trick, perhaps even powdered sulfur. If the sulfur wont smoothly stir into the comp, adding a bit of dish soap to the mix may entice it to make a smooth slurry.

Those look for the world like "Sliders" and an earlier incarnation, "Twig Bang". I believe all three are Chinese articles that are short stick-like versions of "spit devils", a friction sensitive mixture based on chlorate and white phosphorus, and mixed with other ingredients to control the highly reactive nature of those components. Tests might include firing some on concrete in the dark and trying to observe some tell-tail "phosphorescence", the faint greenish glow of slowly oxidizing phosphorus. If you do this, avoid breathing any of the white fumes of phosphorus pentoxide, which would be damaging to any moist tissues it touches.

Use caution and wash hands carefully and thoroughly after handling.

WSM B)

Uh oh.

Apparently these have just been banned from being imported into the US. Better buy some while you still can!

I can tell you that they definitely contain some sort of phosphorous. They give off a very distinct smell when they burn.

Ah, in the EU known as ''rubbing bang''. I might be able to get my hands on the datasheet of these neat little things. I don't promise anything, but i wil try.

Ah, in the EU known as ''rubbing bang''. I might be able to get my hands on the datasheet of these neat little things. I don't promise anything, but i wil try.

that would be interesting to see :rolleyes:

dave