APC Forum

Dimensions for KNO3/Sugar

dangerousamateur

Hi,

if you look at the RTS - How whould you estimate the proper dimensions of a sugar coreburner compared to a standard 60/30/10 BP Coreburner?

Are there rules of thumb like for BP?

I know that it's possible to create a fuel almost as fast as BP by recrystalization, but the proces is to complicated to get a CONSTANT quality imho.

I want to use just plain powdered sugar, powdered KNO3 and Iron Oxide sieved together, that's not very fast but I can ensure every batch to be exactly like the previous.

Well , if you ballmill it properly,you will be able to achieve pretty good results. You just need a smaller nozzle for a sugar rocket,lets say for a 16mm ID tube you should be looking for something around 6mm (That applies for a core burner) and something around 3mm for an end burner,but it depends on the kno3/sugar ratio anyways:)

I just found the documents on the Nichropulse Site, and also some data for non Bates grain Motors from Richard Nakkas site.

If compare that with similar BP Motors, the nozzles have only half the diameter a BP rocket whould have. A four-fold decrease...

I hoped to make a tooling that can also be used for something else than sugar. I see it's impossible. Maybe nozzleless BP.

Can someone add a few experiences?

What nozzle diameter whould you recommend for 22mm id and 160mm core lenght?