APC Forum

Reminder to Wear a Respirator

nater

This wasn't directly fireworks related, but last night I responded to a rescue scene involving a man trapped in a confined space who was using a type of industrial paint. The paint solids were suspended in a few of the solvents commonly used in pyro. (so this is pyro related, bear with me).

As for myself, I stayed outside the building that contained the confined space he was trapped in while the firemen were in the hot zone with SCBAs. It was a breezy night and we were able to open large garage doors on either side so airflow was excellent. It took the firemen some time to get him unstuck, and even with the airflow the fumes were strong. Once we were able to get the person decontaminated and inside our ambulance, the smell was still strong. The open air where we were working was not enough. After the patient was taken care of and our truck cleaned up, my ems director who came to the scene to help, my partner, and myself were all feeling nauseous and had headaches. Even this morning, I was still feeling lousy and my partner said he didn't feel right either. Some of these solvents, even when used outdoors will overcome you and make you sick with minimal exposure. It isn't worth it for a hobby, please be careful. I know I am going to get a better respirator now.

gallery_10713_78_43230.jpg

For that very reason I installed a large powerfull up-draft fan that vents outside, over my pyro work-bench- space.

I also wear gloves & a surgical mask or respirator when working with fine powdered chemicals, fine powdered metals and charcoal.

The old lungs will not last forever & its best to protect them whenever - where-ever possible.

For that very reason I installed a large powerfull up-draft fan that vents outside, over my pyro work-bench- space.

I also wear gloves & a surgical mask or respirator when working with fine powdered chemicals, fine powdered metals and charcoal.

The old lungs will not last forever & its best to protect them whenever - where-ever possible.

Probably a good idea, but what prevents flammable dust from being sucked up inside the vent where there could be a spark from the exhaust fan? I've seen bad fires from grease traps in exhaust hoods in restaurants.

With the solvents that I was mentioning, it isn't just the lungs, but also the potential for CNS and kidney damage. Best be protected. Hopefully on my next shift I'll get an update on this guy as well see if my uniform and equipment was able to be cleaned.

The intake fan has an clean room grade 0.02 micron 24X48x6 inch hepa grade filter in front of it. Any dust over 0.02 micron is caught in the filter. I remove & purge the filter backwards outdoors witth an air compessor whenever it appears the least bit tainted. The motor on the fan is sealed & self cooling, so, it will not ignite fumes. I have 2, 1 serves as a laminar flowhood. So, I am working in clean fresh air & whatever gets loose + fumes are updraft sucked outside the building. I also have ambiant ulpa nuclear grade glove box to work in for really nasty stuff.

One bought of barium poisoning was one 2 many.

The intake fan has an clean room grade 0.02 micron 24X48x6 inch hepa grade filter in front of it. Any dust over 0.02 micron is caught in the filter. I remove & purge the filter backwards outdoors witth an air compessor whenever it appears the least bit tainted. The motor on the fan is sealed & self cooling, so, it will not ignite fumes. I have 2, 1 serves as a laminar flowhood. So, I am working in clean fresh air & whatever gets loose + fumes are updraft sucked outside the building. I also have ambiant ulpa nuclear grade glove box to work in for really nasty stuff.

One bought of barium poisoning was one 2 many.

Nice! One thing to keep in mind though. Hepa fiters become more effecient as they become loaded. You may be doing yourself a diservice by removing that material. Unless you can't increase the fan flow to compensate for the filter loading...

That sounds like a pretty nice setup oldguy.

Looks like my patient will pull through with minimal complications as well. He's lucky he was found that night and not the next morning when his employees came to work.

You have so much fun stuff oldguy.

For a time I was involved with mycology & sterile culture of rare orchids. Both of which require stringent sterile procedures. Which is a long learning lesson in itself. That is why I have assorted hepa-ulpa grade filters, laminar flow hood, glove boxes, magnetic stir plates & autoclave sterilizers. In that arena, you learn a lot about -0.02 micron level air filtration, both active and ambient.

Below is a static electricity control device, I am surprised you don’t see more of in the pyro arena.

gallery_10713_78_6246.jpg