APC Forum

Safety at closing shells

pyrogeorge

I have to say, I'm not sure I agree with their conclusions. I don't think a person would have stood there the whole time to absorb the duration of the flame. Pretty quickly after the shell ignited anyone working on it would have jumped backward or fell to the ground from reflex. They definitely wouldn't have still been standing there by the time the stars lit. It looked very survivable to me, though any exposed skin would certainly not be in good shape afterward.

The closed bucket was a good test. It's good to know burning stars don't fall right through the lid. Overall I would say this doesn't really expose any way we need to change our safety practices. Only have out as much as you need at that moment, and keep lids on your buckets. Wear long sleeve cotton. Probably not a bad idea to keep everything under the table rather than off to the sides either.

Edited by NightHawkInLight

Sounds like you could use a wasp George :P . Don't feel bad I don't have one either, but a couple people at my club do :D .

I have to say, I'm not sure I agree with their conclusions. I don't think a person would have stood there the whole time to absorb the duration of the flame. Pretty quickly after the shell ignited anyone working on it would have jumped backward or fell to the ground from reflex. They definitely wouldn't have still been standing there by the time the stars lit. It looked very survivable to me, though any exposed skin would certainly not be in good shape afterward.

The closed bucket was a good test. It's good to know burning stars don't fall right through the lid. Overall I would say this doesn't really expose any way we need to change our safety practices. Only have out as much as you need at that moment, and keep lids on your buckets. Wear long sleeve cotton. Probably not a bad idea to keep everything under the table rather than off to the sides either.

NHIL, you need to know some of the players in this club to understand the mindset and the reasons for their conclusions. I just take it with a grain of salt.

-dag