APC Forum

PSI conversion question

cplmac

I have a question about converting pressures. The ram on my press is 1.875 inches, and the ram for my tooling is 1 inch. So the surface areas are 2.76" for the press ram and .78" for the tooliing. My question is do I multiply the press cylinder PSI by the surface area of my tooling ram or do I divide the surface area of my ram by the surface area of my tooling and then divide 8800 PSI by that amount? I say it is the first one, and my friend who admittedly has much more experience with rockets than I do says it is the latter. Anyone care to help settle this?

Your friend is correct. The gauge should read ~2500PSI for a loading pressure of a little over 8800 on the powder.

Thank you. I pressed another one tonight at 3000 and it worked great with no split motor.

PS Get Bret Weir I said!

lol...Pablo honey..come to Florida..we miss you.. :-)

Are you still going through that big batch of lance mix that you got from Joe last year?

I think you got me mixed up with someone else. I just took a couple of red lance out of the gross and rolled the powder out.

Indeed I am...sorry for the confusion :-) I know another PGI member who likes to use red lance mix as the delay element in his rockets.

No kidding, cool. I actually uset Sally with Ti as the delay and used the powdered lance comp as my head, but basically that's only a quarter inch from being the delay. I'm pretty new to this rocket pressing business, but it is absolutely addictive. I sent up another three pounder tonight, this time I used my strobe tooling again, pressed the first 1.6 inches with Sally, the rest of the way up the spindle with Benz, and at the very top of the spindle up I used Sally with Ti and headed it with a couple grams of flash. For some reason when it got about two thirds of the way up it and started curly cueing, a weird kind of concentric spin. Looked really cool and the howl/pitch changed tone about four times real fast.