APC Forum

My Ballmill. How to start to mill.

pyrosailor99

Hi all!

i've cried in last days for the glory of seeing to born my machine!

Finally i've got it! i have also a rod longer than the base machine as i think to attach a jar and do a star roller with the same machine.

:lol::lol:

Some useful details:

Medias: Alumina HD balls 1'' - yes, in the dark, they emit light if you shock it with high forces and no material. they don't shock anymore if you put any powder between and crash them with the same force. so the light i can see really it's not danger. i've also tested with some bp. after many crash, NO LIGHT emitted, and NO smell of burned bp, no smoke.

Jar. Big Protein container (ID 20cm long25cm - about 7liters)

Problems:

my calculations, considering that balls packaging in random combination fill the 74% of the jar was wrong. (74% is a famous number got from wikipedia and other sources).

Balls in random pack occupies about 49-51% of the volume. so make your calculation on this base if you use balls. this coincide with what Lloyd say!

Something i noticed:

Ballmilled KNO3 for 6 hours (7kg of media + about 2,4kg of kno3) ->results: coffee grinder seems to be a better job in less time... but i think that this could be an impression as grinder, with rotation, incorporate air in the milled kno3, and this seems to be impalpable. Milled kno3 after 4h was very fine, but wasn't impalpable. BUT, nothing changed after 6 hours... so i think that mill PRESS granules and make it seems granulous on fingers, but pressing it between fingers make you see very very fine powder like grinded kno3.

Somethink i would ask about:

i filled my jar with half volume of balls. then i calculated empty space (that is about , 7liters divided by 4) and obtained how much BP i have to mill per batch...

well, on the net i read BP have a density of 1,7g/cm3 ... so i had to load about 3kg of BP at time...

well.... i have to say that so the jar seems to be full for 75-80% - SO WHERE IS THE ERROR? is really BP 1,7g/cm3??

I thinked that maybe BP will pack when milling and reduce the volume... but just some minute ago i read thet BP increase volume when milled...

I calculated also optimal speed, and for my mill it is about 75rpm ... actually i have no control over the motor and with my surprise it make my 10kg jar go at about 100-120RPM....

this made that AFTER ONLY 20 MINUTES of milling BP... i've eared balls stopped to grind and be silend.... i think this mean that ball are going round the jar without crushing anything...

BUT i also noticed that after only 20minutes BP was good and better than my first coffeegrinder experiment! it is really good.

tomorrow i will try to mill it further 2,5 hours.... but i think the balls will stick on the jar wall....

i think i will try to connect in series a light bulb of 50w to decrease motor speed (it is a washing machine motor, it have bruches, and i have no way to regulate power, Inductive dimmer for 500w motor are too expensive!)

Comments and suggestions??

PS. i will try to upload some picture when i will have time to remove some element/background from it

PS2. THANK YOU ALL GUYS! YOU REALLY HELPED ME IN BUILDING A REALLY GOOD MACHINE!

here is a shot of the project i realized!

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/4602/millshot.jpg

Hi

i use 600g of raw chems (75/15/10) for a 200mm od, 3.6L jar that runs at 63rpm. The 600g charge gives me 900ml of bp by volume after milling (25% of the jar volume). The charcoal probably accounts for the biggest change.

I use 25lbs of lead media which fills the jar to 50% but i am considering switching to hd alumina. I`ve read that alumina can generate light under impact but i`ll admit it makes me a little nervous to think it may happen inside a live jar :)

Lloyd`s "explosion of a mill jar" is an good read if you use a mill, even more so if its a large one mill jar test

Edited by Col

I have only a little experience, but high alumina media of known origin is fairly safe for milling BP.

The 1.7g/cc for BP is the optimal pressed BP ratio. Milled it is way less. You'd be looking closer to 1500--2000g for that jar for an optimal load. The media is also fairly large. The 1/8 media to jar size ratio really only applies to smaller jars. Your 1" media are reducing efficiency.

Lloyd`s "explosion of a mill jar" is an good read if you use a mill, even more so if its a large one mill jar test

Really thank you for the doc. never read this about this Lloyd experiment.

I have only a little experience, but high alumina media of known origin is fairly safe for milling BP.

The 1.7g/cc for BP is the optimal pressed BP ratio. Milled it is way less. You'd be looking closer to 1500--2000g for that jar for an optimal load. The media is also fairly large. The 1/8 media to jar size ratio really only applies to smaller jars. Your 1" media are reducing efficiency.

mmm... i've fear you are right. 2kg could be the good load.

You could be right for the large medias, but i had alumina hd as i couldn't find alumina HD in 1/2''. the HD type was available to me only in sizes of 1'' or more. not less. standard ceramic could have less diameter. As i started to finnd Zirconia M media, i wanted the most heavy media and on LLoyd's book he say that for large Jars 1'' are goods... i've tried...

• 2 weeks later...
For what it's worth, I have better results with chemicals using smaller media. I currently am running 1/4" Zirc m I'n my larger jars and since I slowed it down(good advice I got here) it powders the comps fine and in quick order. Now when I am reducing my raw charcoal the smaller stuff really doesnt work. My chems are about the consistency of granulated sugar when I start though.

For what it's worth, I have better results with chemicals using smaller media. I currently am running 1/4" Zirc m I'n my larger jars and since I slowed it down(good advice I got here) it powders the comps fine and in quick order. Now when I am reducing my raw charcoal the smaller stuff really doesnt work. My chems are about the consistency of granulated sugar when I start though.

Me too! 1/2" Zirc-M works great in my 6" Sponnen jar.

-dag