APC Forum

5 Hour Headers

nater

While driving home from a shoot this weekend, I had been up for over 25 hours straight. I gave one of those energy drink shots a try to stay awake long enough to make it home in one piece. As expected, they don't work as well as advertised. There is an upside. The neck of the bottle where the cap screws in is 3/4" OD. The bottles hold 2oz of liquid and are nice and smooth.

They make a good former for canister headers, or use them as a plastic header themselves. Just fill with your favorite report powder and attach to the motor. This one happens to have 55g of BP, reinforced with strapping tape and attached to a 1lb motor.

2011-09-04_20-13-36_455.jpg

While driving home from a shoot this weekend, I had been up for over 25 hours straight. I gave one of those energy drink shots a try to stay awake long enough to make it home in one piece. As expected, they don't work as well as advertised. There is an upside. The neck of the bottle where the cap screws in is 3/4" OD. The bottles hold 2oz of liquid and are nice and smooth.

They make a good former for canister headers, or use them as a plastic header themselves. Just fill with your favorite report powder and attach to the motor. This one happens to have 55g of BP, reinforced with strapping tape and attached to a 1lb motor.

2011-09-04_20-13-36_455.jpg

cool lets see one in action mate then get some sleep

cool lets see one in action mate then get some sleep

I did get some sleep. Video of this rocket and a few others will be posted after a club meet in 2 weeks. I'm experimenting with a few header designs, canister shells, tapered cone headers, ball shells, and filling the rest of the motor tube with burst, stars, and a simple end plug.

I did get some sleep. Video of this rocket and a few others will be posted after a club meet in 2 weeks. I'm experimenting with a few header designs, canister shells, tapered cone headers, ball shells, and filling the rest of the motor tube with burst, stars, and a simple end plug.

try putting some flash in the space between the header and rocket when the passfire ignites the header fuse the flash blows the header off away from the rocket as long as you have a little longer delay to get better symetry to the round shells,the motor actually impedes this sometimes

try putting some flash in the space between the header and rocket when the passfire ignites the header fuse the flash blows the header off away from the rocket as long as you have a little longer delay to get better symetry to the round shells,the motor actually impedes this sometimes

Not flash, the flame front is too fast and often blows the flame out. Use BP or maybe whistle but that might even be too fast. You also will likely damage the shell from the pressure wave the flash creates.

Been there, dropped that on the ground :(

-dag

Not flash, the flame front is too fast and often blows the flame out. Use BP or maybe whistle but that might even be too fast. You also will likely damage the shell from the pressure wave the flash creates.

Been there, dropped that on the ground :(

-dag

wrong, sorry i use fast fuse( touching the top of the cored bp) which is lit and already on its way mate then inside a small rammed bp charge( inside the shell) to stop it works well ,only using ball shells to get better break not talking about ten grams 1 or 2 grams